arg! what am I doing wrong???

Auntcut

Question

I am trying to do a graph afghan. I've started it twice. It never looks the way it should. Am I counting wrong? Is there a secret for counting the stitches? I am using the counted rows in single crochet. thank you auntcut

10 answers to this question

Are you reading the graph right? Unless the design is symmetrical the odd rows are read right to left and the even rows are read left to right.

I also had the hardest time with this type of crochet...but ...don't quit...just take your time ...if you go here you can get lots of information...Tampa Doll helped me do this is when you see it...she is the queen of graph ghans..:hook

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/s...&highlight=dora

I also had a problem about the way it looked but she told me that from up close it was never gonna look perfect...the further away the better it looked and she is so right.:lol

:cheer This does not look like a graph to me.

A graph is when the pattern is printed in squares with the different stitches or colours represented by each square.

I have been crocheting for 50squillion years and there is no way I would attempt a pattern like this.

Maybe I have just got lazy in my old age but there must be an easier way to make this afghan.

There is a method of making an afghan in SCs and then stitching crosses to form the pattern over the top.

Good luck to you.

Colleen.:hug

A graph is when the pattern is printed in squares with the different stitches or colours represented by each square.

I have been crocheting for 50squillion years and there is no way I would attempt a pattern like this.

Maybe I have just got lazy in my old age but there must be an easier way to make this afghan.

There is a method of making an afghan in SCs and then stitching crosses to form the pattern over the top.

Good luck to you.

I must agree Colleen... that looks like it would be much 'friendlier' if it were cross stitched on a completed ghan than trying to do it in graph style... AAGGHHHH - and as a first or beginner project? I am NOT that brave. I'm learning filet crochet myself and I'm starting with a nice 4X4 coaster !!!!

Good luck to you.

Yes, it's a graph ghan..I've made several patterns myself, and have made a few graphghans. These are usually made using the afghan stitch and MOEZ hooks. They can also be done in single crochet. If you check Linda's site where the pattern is, there are tutorials on how to work the pattern in sc.

Archived