Stringing beads

swtmollysmom

Question

I would lovwe to add some beads to my shawls but every attempt to string beads has left me very frustated. Does anyone have a suggestion for any easy way? What size bead is the best to start with? Is there a book that would be of help? Thanks

9 answers to this question

I am assuming you are trying to sting beads onto yarn. I use a big eye needle and size 6 or E beads for yarn. For even easier stringing move up to a size 4 bead. I have strung size 8's on yarn but it was tougher and they sort of get lost. Hope this helps you.

I've used small beads on worsted weight and fingering weight. The easiest way to thread them on is to take a piece of wire (craft wire if you have it, or even just a large staple can do in a pinch), fold it in half. Thread the yarn into the bend and use the ends to thread on the beads. You can buy needles/threaders designed for beading, but why waste good yarn money on something you can McGyver at home?!

To thread beads on crochet thread, I just stiffen the end, 1/2 inch or so, of the thread with PVA glue. You can speed up the glue drying process with a hair dryer.

You could try the same technique with your yarn. But make sure the glue penetrates the yarn - roll it between your fingers. It might need a couple of applications. Once it's dried, you can carefully trim it, perhaps even cut the yarn on a long slant. It's worth experimenting with.

If you are stringing small beads, like seed beads or size E (6/0) or 8/0, I find the easiest way to do this is to spread your beads out on a piece of cloth... something to keep them from skittering away... then poke the needle into the hole of the bead. The bead should jump onto the needle. I usually do this until I have about 6 or so beads on the needle, then slide them back onto your yarn or thread. To me, this is easier than trying to pick those little buggers up and put them on the needle.

Joan

A wonderful tool is a bead threader. This is a long and very fine piece of wire which has been folded in half. In the bend of the wire is where you'd thread your yarn, or whatever medium you wish to use. Then, you can easily thread even the tiniest beads onto this LONG 'needle'.

To find it, as for a bead threader or bead threading needle (although it's not a needle at all).

Good luck. If you still have problems finding one, let me know and I can help you get one.

Beverly

I would lovwe to add some beads to my shawls but every attempt to string beads has left me very frustated.
Take a needle that is small enough for the beads to pass over. Thread a four to six inch piece of sewing or beading thread into the needle and tie the two thread ends together, making sure the beads can pass over the knot. Slide your yarn through the loop of the knotted yarn. Put bead on needle, down over the thread and then push down over the yarn.

I agree with the one who said to stiffen the end of your yarn with glue, that was the first thing that popped into my head when I read your question.

You wouldn't need much, just enough to get the bead over.

Archived