vigilant20.com is now vigilant20.net

viggie

Well, it happened. Our power went out last night, and we came back up with a new IP address...which means my domain name doesn't work anymore. I had registered vigilant20.com through yahoo domains, and since my account has been hijacked I no longer have access to it. I've been writing yahoo regularly about it since it happened 4 weeks ago...but of course no ones responded.

Anyone know if I have any other options? The domain is registered to me...shouldn't I be able to transfer it somewhere else? Or there's got to be a way to contact yahoo directly instead of filling out those stupid forms no one ever answers...grrr.

UPDATE: I was able to call, then email, verify all my info and financial info 10 times, then told because I couldn't recall the security question and answer I made up 8 years ago they couldn't help me access my account. Although they can verify it's my domain, they won't give me a way to use it. GAH! So now we're vigilant20.net.

Getting ahold of a live person with Yahoo is challenging but can be done. Last year I paid for my website and after several days I finally got a hold of someone but it didn't really help as I got someone in Pakistan who barely spoke English and couldn't do anything to help me. (I got double billed) and I ended up having to eat the cost as I couldn't get any decent satisfaction. Now I always try to keep a back-up of all my files on my website and blog as you never know when something dreadful may happen. So sorry this happened...

I have used doteasy.com for years for web hosting. It's only $25 a year for their basic web service, and I've never had any trouble with it. I've actually had several different accounts over the years. They do have a domain transfer service, but I don't know anything about the cost or how it works. Hope this helps, I loooooove your site! Especially your One Skein Projects!:manyheart

I have a pad host but I do know there are tons of freebies out there if that is what you are looking for.

Just do a google for free web hosts.

About your domain, alot of places will trannsfer your domain. Some charge and some are free..

Always Always read the TOS and everything before agreeing.

I got away from yahoo websites along time ago.

You can try this link (it's the Yahoo company directory page), and then click on the "Addresses" link. This will give you a company telephone number to call. If they can't help you directly, they should at least be able to guide you to the right person(s) who can. I had an account with Yahoo that had some problems a while back, so I understand your frustration regarding how difficult it is to actually find help and answers. There is a Customer Care Number that you can call as well. Yet, the only way I was able to talk to a real person and to finally get my problem resolved, was by going directly to the main company number. I hope this helps you.

Thanks everyone! I finally got a hold of a real person at yahoo small business (which is what yahoo domains are a part of) ...but they wouldn't give me access to my account. They were satisfied that I was indeed me and my billing info was verified but since my yahoo account info had been changed by the hijacker I have to go through a crazy email process to verify all the info I signed up with...nuts.

I actually don't use their hosting services. I run my website off of my own computer and cable modem. I only use yahoo for my domain name because I got it for like $3 a year for 5 years...hehe.

Archived