Think there will be a crochet backlash next year?

(lol) silly me never knew that crochet went out. I have been wearing and making the stuff for years!

I think crochet is huge now and still on its way up in popularity. Now there are more crochet books in my local A.C. Moore than knitting books. Look how the member population of C'Ville has surged over the past year!

I'm 46+ and have been wearing a fleece store bought poncho (a gift) for at least 5 years now. I'm "pleasingly plump" and it's more comfortable than any sweater. I really don't care what people think. I've started crocheting when I was 10(+/-) and really got into it in the 70's. I won't stop just because "it's out of fashion". Some day I'll make my own poncho

Ellie 13

I don't think the concern is whether crocheting itself as an activity might phase out. I think most of us who are here are probably pretty dedicated! :bounce

I think the question in the thread is more about how the general population views crocheted items, especially in clothing.

~ Joy

I've wondered that myself. I'm not a fashion guru, either. I've been wearing clothes that have probably been out of style for a decade now. :lol I never was one to notice what the fashion trends were, even as a teenager. I would imagine that this increased attention on crocheted fashion items will probably have some effect on how they stay in or go out of style in the future.

There is a bit of an upside to that, though. Since fashion comes in and goes out like the tide, when it goes out, then comes back in, we'll have plenty of pretty things waiting there for the people who are looking for that sort of thing! :hook

Then there are those timeless types of crocheted fashions, like scarves, hats, and shawls. No matter what happens, those types of things never seem to go out of style.

I haven't gotten good enough to crochet wearables, so this isn't an issue for me. Afghans and household items such as dishcloths are always being requested by family members. Here in the south handmade items are treasured, esp. baby blankets and table runners. Even if I evidently don't have the talent for making clothes, I will still have plenty of projects to do.

Archived