Want to learn filet crochet... but...

funkyreporter

I was looking on eBay (a favorite pasttime of mine) for some books on filet crochet, specifically thinking a tutorial might be helpful since I've never tried it:P and I did find a couple gorgeous pattern books... Then I found this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Learn-to-do-filet-crochet-in-just-one-day_W0QQitemZ4579054471QQcategoryZ378QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Is this a really special book or something? The shipping is very reasonable, but really....:faint I thought of writing the seller and asking if that was a typo, but all the other books were in the hundreds too... What gives?

I just paid $45 for Annie's Blue Ribbon Afghans and felt that though it was a lot it's worth it - I mean, the cathedral afghan, waterlilies... :bounce But no way would I pay $115 for a crochet book, :2nono but just curious...

Any recommendations to someone starting filet crochet? It looks almost too easy - either fill the space in or leave it open - but maybe I'm over-simplifying things...

I don't know that I'm an expert but IMO that's outrageous for a learn to book. They have several "Learn to" books at both my local Michaels and Jo-Anns in the $10 price range.

I recently did my first filet item and it was pretty easy. I just did a sample swatch off Crochet Pattern Central and was good to go...

Unless the book has an unlimited supply of yarn included I wouldn't pay that much for it!

I don't know that I'm an expert but IMO that's outrageous for a learn to book. They have several "Learn to" books at both my local Michaels and Jo-Anns in the $10 price range.

I recently did my first filet item and it was pretty easy. I just did a sample swatch off Crochet Pattern Central and was good to go...

Unless the book has an unlimited supply of yarn included I wouldn't pay that much for it!

Yeah... I like the part about the unlimited supply of yarn:laughroll . I did another search and found the same book for an affordable $3.99 Buy it Now Price, $3.50 S&H, but I chose three other books and she combined shipping so I spent a total of about $22!

Being as though I just saved, uh, $95, I'm feeling pretty darn good right now:U . Might go buy a Lotto ticket or something!

I've got to believe that's a typo... the seller's computer was going batty.

As for the sample off Crochet Pattern Central that you did, that's very encouraging that you said it was pretty easy because there's a beautiful rose design I'd love to try... I was very inspired by Donna's rose shawl (in the thread "Do you see a rose? I don't see a rose.)

Filet crochet is wonderful. I love it. But I wouldn't spend that type of money for any how to book. Especially since we have some great sources on the internet. You have the basic concept down, fill in or not to fill in. I have started a few people off on filet work. I love what can be accomplished with it. Once you have the basics down you can add some variations and make some real masterpieces.

Try the about site. It seems to have a good basic crochet tutorial.

Filet crochet is very easy! You're right - either fill in a space, or ch 1, & skip (leaving an open space). You'll love it. You can follow a graph. There are lots of good leaflets on filet crochet. I like the one "Your name in Filet Crochet" - I've done those & framed them for gifts. Either the person's first name, or the family's last name. I made a valance for my kitchen window, too. It went really fast in size 10 thread. Go for it! You don't need a "how-to" book - you can do it!

There are a few websites that are good for learning how to do filet pieces... www.smartcrochet.com and the annies attic website has taken over the www.stitchguide.com site so on annies check to the left column on their site and it has stitch guide.

Filet is a lot of fun but can be challenaging at times, but well worth the time.

:manyheart

Archived