Ferret Friends rescue...

Sahmlock

My sister owns/operates a shelter for exotic animals....she has many ferrets that she takes in from owners who didn't quite realize the amount of work they require in order to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Many times she receives these animals when they are diagnosed with cancer, etc. She always tries to ensure that they have an excellent quality of life and she often racks up quite a bit in vet bills....But she never winces about it...that is just want she wants to do. She truly has a heart for these animals. She works full time and, runs this shelter, and was even a volunteer for the humane society.

She is such a giving person, and I wanted to put it out there...that if anyone feels compelled to make some ferret hammocks with his/her scrap yarn...and send them my way... I will forward them to her..;o) I would greatly be appreciative of this. For someone who gives so much of herself...I wanted to show her that others give as well. ;o) thanks in advance.. you can email me for my mailing address: Ktlocke@sbcglobal.net. She would even love little blankets to put in the cages for these animals too. Anything would be awesome. thanks again!

If you PM me the address, I can send some things. I have some 12" squares that are good enough for ferrets, but not quite good enough for the Heartmade Comfortghans. :blush

Just FYI, ferret hammocks can also be made out of a single layer of fleece...they should be at least 12"x12" and you can rivet the corners to attach the clips. The great thing is that they're washable and virtually indestructable.

I ordered some of these hammocks for my chinchillas. This should give you a pretty good idea of what I'm talking about (and Sahmlock, you can pass that link along to your sister)...the woman was a pleasure to deal with.

Just a thought, if anyone has any fleece lying around. :) I do love cute critters. :D

Hmmmmmm

I think there were blanket kits to make those knotted doubled up blankets, in the clearance in back of my Wal*mart!! I am going to go and grab that. I am not sure how to do the grommet thing? Maybe Joann's would have that?

Thanks for the tip...She is going to be sooooo excited!!! ;O)

I am hoping to surprise her with a bunch! ;o)

Thanks again!

so, i could make a 12 inch square and then put little straps at the corners with clips? i think i could do that. if i get one done, i'll pm you for your address. now, what is a ferrets favorite color?:lol

i've made a couple of hammocks for the little furry dudes. as soon as i get clips, i'll send them. send me the address, please.

BTW, tell your sister that i speak from experience. once she gives the ferrets a hammock, she'll have a hard time getting them to mow the yard or clean the garage. it happened with my DH.:lol

i've made a couple of hammocks for the little furry dudes. as soon as i get clips, i'll send them. send me the address, please.

BTW, tell your sister that i speak from experience. once she gives the ferrets a hammock, she'll have a hard time getting them to mow the yard or clean the garage. it happened with my DH.:lol

:sofunny:rofl:laughroll

okay, where do i find the clips? i looked at walmart, but all i could find were in the sewing dept with the buckles and they were 1.27 each.:think

friday i'll check at hobby lobby and michael's when i go to get my DH's check. if i can't locate any, maybe she can tie them on or use big ol' diaper pins.

Strange.......for me that is.... just this evening a friend online asked me if I could crochet ferret hammocks. I told her... if I could find a pattern (which I did) but if not, I could sew one. Anyway, here is a link talking about making one from a sweatshirt. I kept thinking, what fleece do I have? Saw, sweatshirt, duh me!! There is a wonderful thrift store near me and I am always seeing sweatshirts in the 25 cents bin.

Oh here is the link.......

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/angela.cutler/fuzz/hammocks.htm

my guess for the hooks, clips....... hardware section or just a hardware store.

• 4 weeks later...

sorry it took so long to send the hammocks, but i had to wait on money for postage.they went out in the mail today. hope they are okay. i still couldn't find any clips that i could afford. so, maybe she can pin them on or something.

dazy

I know what your sister goes through everyday because I am a foster parent for ferrets from our local shelter I house the ones that are not adoptable do to illness or abuse that has left them injured... I try and give them a safe and loveing home for the rest of their lives no mater how short it is

I'm a ferret Mommy of two!!! And I definately know how much of a vet bill you can rack up because right now to date I prolly have about $2,000. My little girl ferret which is my avatar is sick now with insulinoma and adrenal disease and is very sick. I get up every 2 hours to feed her and she takes a dextrose shot every 6 house thru a tube similar to an I.V. So I will definately make some and try to get them your way! I make them all the time for my 2 fuzz butts. I also buy the fleece baby blankets they have at wal*mart in the dollar isle. They love to curl up in those too!! And i will gladly help out!

Krystal

Archived