the "sak" totes

mimicat

Mimi, ang ganda ng gawa mo!

Awesome bags! Now I know what to do with all my leftover cotton scraps!

BTW, I spent 3 hours downloading all the bags, accessories and hats that were crocheted. I am going to make (or finish my bag WIP) one of these bags soon!

Thanks for giving the link, now you have revived my bag addiction :D

Salamat!

-Beth

I did the same thing!!! Were'nt they awesome?!?!?! Now I'm really fired up! :yay

Hi! I made these two "sak" imitation bags a while back. :hook I remembered it now as I wanted to make another bag from a new design. I saw this bag and I think I'm going to try to make it one of these days. I was looking for the website where I got the inspiration to create these two bags, but I couldnt find it. :think

106260319_2d59ae0ddf_m.jpg

106260318_0bb9a2651a_m.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Could I ask you what size hook you used? And is it ww yarn? It looks so precise and tight. You sure do good work! And I love the color combo! Thanks so much for sharing!! I'm so inspired now! :hook

Thank you all for your wonderful comments :day:hug :hug :hug

The striped one is about the same size as the red bag, it just look bigger in the photos. I haven’t actually used it since I haven’t gotten to putting a lining and zipper to it (I’m the least interested in sewing a zipper) The red bag has been used a lot of times, it was a gift requested by my sister and it has become her favorite bag. She was the one who first inspired me to make more “sak†imitation bags, after the first one that I made which was a very simple black mini tote.

To all who were wondering how I make these bags, I will offer some guidelines.:hook I cannot give a pattern for these as I did not write it down as I was making it. I did not intend to make a duplicate anyway, there has to be an element of surprise in how each bag will turn out, otherwise, it will be very boring because all you do is sc the whole thing. Secondly, I will not spend a lot of time and effort writing down a pattern since I cant sell it anyway, because I feel it would be unethical since the design concept was not mine. Someday I might come up with my own designs using the tightweave sc stitches.

Here now are the tips to make your own “sak†bags: (use at your own risk ;) )

• Choose your style, check out the dimensions stated on the product, or adjust it to suit your taste.
  • Choose your material. The original bags use nylon cord. I use what is readily available to me, cotton thread size 8, 3 strands worked together.
  • Choose a size of hook that will result in tightweave sc stitches if you want to make it look like the original. I mostly use a 3.5mm hook for my bags.
  • Practice by making swatches or make a coin purse. Also search for bag patterns using only sc stitches, you could make those first and see if you can persevere crocheting a million sc stitches:eek to make a bag.
  • Begin the bag at the bottom by crocheting in rounds forming a circle, oval or rectangle; or, side to side in rows (rectangle-shape), making it according to the dimensions of the bag (length and width). Then proceed to crochet the sides of the bag in rounds, measuring the height as you go along. Increase, decrease or work evenly depending on the style you chose.
  • The straps are usually worked in rows, turning every row.

You might also get some tips here on my previous post “sak†inspired bags.

Thanks again for showing interest. I would also like to plug my upcoming original bag design which I will submit to CPR site soon... :hook

Archived