Thread Crochet

YarnBox

Hi everyone I am new to Crochetville. I have never tryed thred crochet I just wanted to know how thread was sized is 5 smaller or larger than 10 and so on...:think Thanks for your help!

Chris

This really belongs in the thread crochet forum, not the show and tell. But to answer your question. Size 5 thread is larger than size 10. The larger the number the smaller the thread.

Welcome to Crochetville, It wont take you long to learn your way around.

Thank you Kathy! I hope I learn the ropes. I really injoy Crochetville!!!!!!!!! I have tryed the pink shrug and it turnde out great but I don't know how to post pic yet. Also I don't have that privilage yet.:cheer

:welcome to Crochetville! There are no minimum requirements for posting pictures. However, you will need to have your pictures saved on a picture hosting site that allows hotlinking in order to display them here, they cannot be posted directly. You can learn more about this as well as many other useful things about the forum in the Crochetville FAQ pages, please take some time to browse around there. We also have a Scratch Pad forum where you can practice posting a picture or anything else you are trying to learn how to do here. And if you need technical help, or just have a general question about how things work here, a holler in the Board Help forum will get you an answer.

In the meantime, any thread questions you may have, Kathy's the gal with the answers - she's our expert threadie! We do have others too, so feel free to ask your thread-related questions here. :cheer

"thin" or "fine" is a relative term for thread. If you mainly use yarn, you probably consider size 10 "fine". But even we thread junkies consider size 60 fine. I have a tiny ball of size 200 thread, kept carefully in a plastic bag. I won it as part of an ebay auction lot of "fine" thread. Aside from the fact that it is undisputibly thin and beyond my eyesight, there is not enough of it to make anything much. So it will continue to be admired as an art object.

As for looking at thread and being able to judge its size, I can't do that either, even though I have been a dedicated threadie for years. The best I can do is to decide one thread is finer than another when they are side by side, and even then I have difficulty when they are close in size.

• 4 weeks later...

Just a silly bit of trivia. The reasoning behind the "smaller is the larger size" goes back to the "old days" when yarn and thread was in "hanks" or "shanks." If 3 shanks made a pound, then the size was 3. If 20 shanks made a pound then the size was 20, and so forth. When I think of it this way it makes more sense in my "remembery," and then I don't have any trouble.

Thank you, sparkles! That makes perfect sense, I always wondered how they came up with that numbering system - now I know!

Archived