Help My Yarn Stinks

ahiscox

Long story short: I need orange yarn for a project to decorate the tables at my sister's wedding and she couldn't find a color she was happy with so I attempted dying some.

I did the first hank last night. I had so much fun I can easily get addicted to this. I used Gaywool dye and followed all the directions and now it's almost dry, it's orange like she wants. But it stinks. I mean literally it has an odor. Not like wet sheep, but sulfur/rotton eggs, which in my opinion is much worse. I smelled the same smell when boiling last night, so I assume it's from the dye. The water ran clear when I rinsed it, but should I rinse it again? Any advise about how to rinse it, could I have done something wrong?

Thanks in advance

Try a few drops of Lavender Essential Oil to the rinse water.

Also, Vanilla essence takes smells out of the fridge so maybe that will work on smelly wool.

:think Is it still damp? It may smell better when it is dry.

Colleen:hug

yeah, i was gonna suggest soaking it in some woolite or something, or if you don't want to get it wet then perhaps a good dousing of Frebreeze... that stuff is pretty good. It helped my dad's stinky chair :yuck

Try a few drops of Lavender Essential Oil to the rinse water.

Also, Vanilla essence takes smells out of the fridge so maybe that will work on smelly wool.

:think Is it still damp? It may smell better when it is dry.

Colleen:hug

You can actually buy lavander "water" for using in the laundry. It comes in huge bottles, usually in specialty shops that sell a lot of linens and cotton tablecloths.

Thanks for all the advice! I did a second rinse with some woolite and some color came off, so I think that I didn't rinse enough the first time! Now I know better. No more rotton eggs here just hand-dyed goodness. I'm working up the first square now and I'm very happy with it.

Thanks again!

Archived