Afghan is too small. Now what?

I started a blanket about 2 or 3 years ago for my DD. I would get 1/2 through one pattern, change my mind, frog and start over. I finally finished it and gave it to her today.

It's too small.

My DD is 15, but a foot taller than me. She says she likes it, but probably won't use it unless I make her a bigger one...about the size of a twin bed.

So what do I do with THIS one? Is it possible to frog a project after you've woven in all the ends? Are there any fast, P or Q hook twin bed sized afghan patterns out there? Should I make her a full-sized one instead, since she'll eventually have a full/queen sized bed? Should I even bother?

Would it be possible to add a thick border around it? Maybe in some sort of cute stitch?

I've been using Homespun with a solid hdc pattern and an N hook to make an afghan, and it's been working up large and fast. If you used a P hook you'd probably zip right through it. Any chunky yarn and a large hook will likely work up quickly. Light N Lofty would probably make a luxurious blanket.

If you like it (and you must, to finish this one after frogging so many!) I wouldn't frog it. Keep it for yourself, or see if she can use it as a throw on her sofa or maybe a chair in her bedroom, or give it to someone else to use for that. As for fast afghans, I know they're out there but I'm not a big hook fan -- I'll leave recommendations for those who've actually made some of them!

If you like it (and you must, to finish this one after frogging so many!) I wouldn't frog it. Keep it for yourself, or see if she can use it as a throw on her sofa or maybe a chair in her bedroom, or give it to someone else to use for that. As for fast afghans, I know they're out there but I'm not a big hook fan -- I'll leave recommendations for those who've actually made some of them!

I think the problem is that it *IS* throw size, and she wants a blanket. I was kinda thinking about giving it to DS instead of frogging it. I made it using RH Ocean, so color-wise it's pretty neutral. On the other hand, I could frog it and get a couple of baby blankets out of it for gifts or charities.

Decisions...decisions....

How about you teach her to crochet and offer to buy her the thread to make her own bedspread.

Personally I love a throw folded up at the end of my bed to add the little extra on a chilly night and a spark of color when not in use.

Oh dont frog it!!! You must have someone you could gift it to! If not find a good charity (hint hint) like Afgahnd for Amegios or Project linus. It sounds beautiful! What a great mom you are!! I started one for my son and he will bring it to me every so often and say "mom can ya add a row" Well sure it has become one of the most treasured to him! Ps he is 9 now!!!

:think One simple way to make a bigger one is to teach her to do it herself.:think

A small rug is very handy so please do not un-ravel it but either make it larger by, as someone else said, adding a border or the other thing you could do is make more pieces the same and put them together and then add a border. It depends on how big the blanket is in the first place though.

If you are going to make a full bed size, it is much easier to work in squares or strips so you are not dealing with the whole weight as you go but only when you are putting it together and adding the finishing touches.

:think Maybe you could do a Granny Square Afghan and your daughter could help by finishing off ends or evem making some of the squares.:think

Good luck with whatever you choose to do but DONT un-ravel it.

Have fun.

Colleen

IMG_5295web.jpg

I tried getting a shot of DS on the afghan so you'd have a general idea of the size. As you can tell, he was being a bit uncooperative. :haha

It's as long as my queen size bed, but only as wide as a pillow. Hmmmm.....I think I messed up somehow. I also tried edging it, instead of using fringe, but I've noticed a slight tendency to curl. Still, I love the colors. *sigh*

I'm thinking about donating it to Project Linus. Maybe I'll do a ripple this time instead. But it has to be a quick project...how many strands would I need for an N hook? What about a P hook? :think

:cheer Perfect, It is a beautiful colour.:cheer

Now make another piece exactly the same and also a narrow strip of SCs, the same length, in a conrast, like Navy Blue, to join the pieces together, then work the same width of SCs right around the whole thing. If necessary make two more pieces and join in the same manner. No-one will even know that you did not intend to do it that way.

It will look great when finished.

If I was you, I would make sure that your daughter appreciates the amount of work you have done so far and still have to do to complete the size she wants.

It should not come too easy or she wont look after it.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

... gave it to her today.

It's too small.

My DD is 15, but a foot taller than me. ... I make her a bigger one...about the size of a twin bed.

So what do I do with THIS one? ... Should I even bother?

MO. you should bother.

Can you think Mile A Minute and add strips to both the width and the length?

:-) 's

I'd either be adding to it or giving it to charity or someone else or keep it for myself, but I would not frog it...and I like the suggestion about giving daughter a crochet hook and teaching her how to make her own...

Archived