Confused. Crochet vs knitting?

kareni

Question

I'm a little confused on what the difference is between the method. I know the obvious difference is the actual technique. I'm trying to "self-teach" myself how to do both eventually, with all your help of course!

The part I'm confused :think about is:

How are the outcomes different? If you use the same pattern, same yarn, will the outcome look different?

Also, even if something's meant to be knit... can you still crochet a similar version? [or vice versa]

Are there some things you just can't make by crocheting [but you can by knitting]?

The techniques... is one more challenging than the other?

8 answers to this question

It's been my experience that for the most part anything that can be knitted can be crocheted...however the crocheted version will not necessarily look exactly like the knitted version. Hard for me to explain.

For me crocheting is faster, knitting is slower...but I've been around some knitter that I swear knit as fast as I crochet. Crocheting takes more yarn, simply because of the nature of the techique...

I've gotten confused looking at a lacy pattern and not be able to tell whether it's really knitting or crocheting...but that's usually by looking at pictures...if I were to hold the object in my hand, I think I'd be able to tell.

There are many patterns that are converted from knit to crochet and visa versa...

I'm sure there are other members that might be able to answer your questions better than I did...it's just hard for me to explain...

How are the outcomes different? If you use the same pattern, same yarn, will the outcome look different?

Yes, generally crocheted fabric is firmer than knitted fabric.

Also, even if something's meant to be knit... can you still crochet a similar version? [or vice versa]

Similar, but not exact.

Are there some things you just can't make by crocheting [but you can by knitting]?

No, but they won't be indentical.

Everything is challenging until you practice it enough for it to become easy. ;) I can do just about anything with crochet because I've been doing it for 40+ years. Following knitting directions and the mechanical technique is much more challenging because I've only been doing it off and on for a couple years.

IMO there are many more things you can knit that you can't crochet. Many times you can "copy" the knitted pattern in a way that it looks similar in crochet, but there are some things that just won't work with both techniques.

there are many more things you can knit that you can't crochet

and on th eflip of that there are many things you can crochet that you cant knit..i dont totally agree there are more things you can knit.. because for every thing i come up with knit that i cant crochet there is something crochet that cant be knit.. although i havent sat down and make a complete list

they each have their own set of pros and cons..

i will say that aknit fabric is more stretchy and has more "bounce back" than you can ever try to duplicate in crochet..

i do both because with both you can do things that are out of this world!

The outcomes will be different because the stitches don't look the same.

Crochet is made up of essentially four stitches: single, half double, double and triple. You can vary how they are put together or where you insert the hook to make the stitches (front loop, back loop, post stitches).

Knitting has only 2 stitches: knit and purl. Really, there's just one, the knit stitch. Purling is basically the same thing, just backwards. It all depends on where you want the purl "bump."

But the stitches don't look alike at all.

Sure. But they won'ty look exactly alike because the structure of the stitches is different. But you can make them look similar. (There are a couple books that compare the two. "From Knit to Crochet" is one. "Needles to Hook" is another. These books don't help you convert from one type of pattern to the other but they do show comparisons of knitting and crochet. If you have cabled knit item, it shows you which crochet pattern stitch would be similar so that you could get the same effect. But they still won't be identical.

I think so. I think it is easier to crochet shapes and motifs than knit them. I think crochet lends itself more to shaping and knitting is "flatter." You can crochet very, very easily in the round and get better shaping on your item. Knitting can of course be done in the round but I think it doesn't come out looking so finished. For example, to make a bag in crochet, you can crochet a circle using increases until you get the size you want and then just crochet in the round without increasing to get the tube. To get something similar in knitting you have to create the base. Usually a square base. Then you bind off and have to pick up stitches on circulars and commence knitting in the round.

Knitting usually has better drape than crochet.

I think crochet is easier and faster. I think it's easier to correct mistakes in crochet. (One stitch, just frog back, start over.) It's more difficult in knitting. (More stitches, more chances to mess up. I still have a hard time correcting dropped stitches.)

I love how it's easier to shape and work in the round and create motifs in crochet.

I love the lacy effects you can get in knitting and the drape of the material.

I really enjoy both.

Crochet is more portable. One hook. You can stop and start more easily.

Knitting has 2 needles. (I use circular needles mostly though which essentially can function as stitch holders.) You should finish a knitting row before you walk away from your knitting or you risk disaster if the stitches fall off.

Some of this has been said, but I'll just say it because it's part of my whole thought train on the two.

Knit - Better for garments that need to drape on the body. Has many, many, many interesting properties - Not the least of which is the staggering array of ways to mix Knit and Purl to get different looks. Boy, I tell you what, crochet stitch patterns seem a lot less complicated to me than some of the ones that knitters use. Knit has decreases and increases that lean either left or right, so if you're making a garment you must always match these so that your garment doesn't look funny. Knit also has some interesting technqiues, like steeking or short row shaping. Knit fabrics tend to be not as bulky as crochet ones, so they're more suitable to socks.

Crochet - In general, better for things that need structure. I believe it is much easier to crochet a motif in the round than it is to knit one flat. Crochet also has the advantage of only dealing with one stitch at a time, which makes it MUCH MUCH MUCH easier to make very large things, like afghans. Crochet fabric does not drape as well as knitted fabric does. Knit things are more supple. That is not to say that a crocheted piece cannot achieve the same kind of drape, but it requires a special effort on the part of the crocheter in the choice of hook, yarn, and stitch pattern. Knit just drapes no matter what you do to it. I have very rarely seen a "structured" thing that is knit.

Also, you can't knit mathematical models of hyperbolic space - The needles get too full of stitches. You can crochet them, though. :D

In my general experience, if you use the same yarn and same size hook/needles, your knitting will be thinner and stretchier than your crocheting. (To reverse that, your crocheting will be thicker and firmer than your knitting.) The knitting may have a smoother appearance while the crocheting may have a bumpier appearance (that's just swatches of plain stockinette vs. single crochet.)

Yes...but not really with the same pattern, since the shape and sizes of the stitches are different. If you made the same number of stitches in the same order, the two pieces would come out quite differently. Often patterns can be converted if they include measurements or schematics, that allow you to create a piece of the appropriate size.

Let me rephrase your question. Since we know you CAN make (roughly) the same thing with either technique, let's ask instead, 'Are there things that are better suited to knitting or crocheting?'

In my opinion, yes. In my OPINION, knit socks just work better. (They are also, in my opinion, much freaking harder.) Knitting is thin and stretchy, good socks are thin and stretchy. They work together. I think that solid clothing items (like plain sweaters) work up better in knit. I much prefer to work lace and openwork portions in crochet, because I think there's a much more effortless freedom that can be achieved. (Yes, you can do it with knitting, it's just harder.) Also, I think that toys, stuffed animals, amigurumi, etc, work up much better in crochet. For the most part, though, I like knitted cables better than crocheted ones (they're a lot easier than you might think! Don't be afraid!). I think the best thing to do is learn both techniques, learn their strengths and limitations, and then use each where appropriate. :hook:knit

In my opinion, crochet is muuuuch easier and more forgiving. (That's just my opinion, though, and you should know for the purposes of an educated decision that I've been crocheting for 11 years and knitting for 1.) Crocheting is worked one stitch at a time, and so mistakes (no matter how far back) can be quickly ripped out to the point of the mistake, corrected, and then you can continue with no further worries.

Knitting is worked with all of the stitches in a row 'in play' at once. MY husband's grandmother taught me to knit, and I didn't think it was too bad until I asked what you did if you made a mistake. She looked at me and said, "Oh, honey...you don't want to make a mistake." Turns out that to correct a mistake you can either 'tink' (knit backwards, twisting stitches appropriately and shifting them to the other needle) if it's not too far back, or - grit your teeth, pull out your needle, frog it to the offending point and pray you don't drop any stitches. (A dropped stitch, not caught in time, is sufficient cause for black clothing and a stiff drink.) Then you get to spend from half an hour (if it's a scarf) to an hour and a half (if it's a sweater) putting all the stitches back on, making sure they're all twisted the correct way and any cabled stitches are properly arranged, and counting to be sure that you didn't drop any stitches. (We don't want to drop the stitches.) Then you can get right back to it! (You do remember what row you're on, don't you?)

That said, I'm sure that starting off, it's just as easy to learn knitting as crochet, but going from crochet to knitting was a bit of a shock. (I bet it's the same the other way around, too. :shrug) However, I do keep going back to the knitting, both for the challenge and because there are things I'd rather knit than crochet. (My first cabled swatch was a triumph. :D)

Anyway - wow, that was long. Hope it helps someone. :lol

^Once you're an accomplished knitter, putting the stitches back on the needle right doesn't take quite that long, figuring out exactly where you are when you get them back on is another story entirely, depending on the complexity of your pattern.

I've been knitting almost as long as I've been crocheting and have been lucky enough not to have dropped stitches very much. I have had to rip back to correct an error though so I do know how that feels.

Archived