Can someone help me identify this hook?

Stacey

A while ago I bought up a ziploc bag full of assorted tatting thread at a flea market somewhere. I put it aside since I'm still only good enough at tatting to use #10 thread; I'm saving this stuff for when I'm better at it.

Anyway, the other night I noticed there was a thread hook hiding in the bag. Took it out and looked at it and it's really interesting-looking. The thumb rest is hourglass shaped--I messed around with it some and it seems like it's designed to use it with a pencil-type grip. There's a little knob on the end of the shaft, and some sort of design cut into it. The only other marking anywhere on it is a number 6, and I think the head is a Bates-style after comparing it with a couple of my other hooks. (Also it looks smaller than my #6 Boye hook, so looks like it's sized more like Bates hooks.)

Anyone have any idea about this thing? I'm just curious since there are no markings and it looks old-ish. The photos didn't come out well at all though--it was late at night and my hands were shaky :lol (I'll try to get some better ones tonight and replace them tomorrow...) I uploaded one with the flash and one without--they're a little hard to make out the details unfortunately, but if anyone can tell me anything about it I'd be very appreciative!

http://daisywreath.net/crochet/img/oldhook01.jpg

http://daisywreath.net/crochet/img/oldhook02.jpg

Thanks for the tip that it might be Hero -- I'll do some searching and see if I can find anything.

I'll definitely post back if I can figure out what it is!

(No luck with a better picture. I just can't get the hang of photographing shiny things without them coming out all flashed out or blurry...)

I'm thinking if anybody can answer your question, it will be hooklady - hope she checks in and sees this soon. It looks like a pretty neat hook, I'm curious to find out what it is now!

One question: what color is it? in one of the two pics you posted, it looked silver but it was gold colored in the second one. Which is right? Not that it's a big deal or anything, I'm just being my usual nosey self... :eek:devil

It's silver--I think it looks gold-ish in the picture without the flash because I took the picture under a fluorescent light (I've seen this camera do that before under that kind of lighting).

It looks like steel, but even though the shaft is a bit bigger around than my other thread hooks where the design on the handle is, it seems a little bit lighter than my plain steel hooks. Strange. (Could be hollow at that end, maybe?) But I don't know as it's actually stainless steel, since it looks a little bit tarnished, almost. I'm thinking of rubbing on it with a cloth for a while to see what it looks like after :hook

You have a real prize. Your hook can be dated to approximately 1900. If it has a bluish tint then it is blued steel, if not then it is nickel plated steel. I haven't found a manufacturer yet, but I'm still looking through tons of research :D . Does it have a size on it?

If you rub the finish, you could potentially damage it and leave the steel open to rusting. Rub carefully and then wax it good with renaisance or bees wax and buff well. This will help to protect the finish.

How is it to crochet with?

I happen to own one just like yours, Mine is a size 7 and in pretty good shape. Looks like it was a favored hook at on time as the end is slightly bowed from use. Mine has no other marking on it other than the 7 on the indented side of the hourglass thumb rest. I do have several others with the same sort of fancy engraving on the hand end of the hook and the rounded bulb at the tip. Though the tip of the others are slightly more elongated. One does have the brand name of Faudiltie on the thumb rest. Thought maybe this would help with identifying these for you. I have never worried about identifying my treasures I will leave that to those who enjoy that sort of mystery. Me I just love looking at and touching these wonderful bits of history. Who knows what beautiful things they have made.

Some day Hooklady we need to compare collections. I may have a few you might want to document for your book. Mine are almost all thread hooks as that has always been my love. so that is what I focused my collection on.

i believe it might be a hero crochet hook, thats the name of them, i have a few and thats what they look like, and not all are marked . what a lucky find you have:cheer :cheer

I would love to see pictures of any of these that you have that are marked HERO. It would help in my research.

Some day Hooklady we need to compare collections. I may have a few you might want to document for your book. Mine are almost all thread hooks as that has always been my love. so that is what I focused my collection on.

Katchkan,

I would love to compare notes:c9 and find out more about your collection. Like you I go through my hooks and think about the women and possibly men who used them and imagine the beautiful things they made. I also wonder why some hooks survive in mint condition and others are rusty and look like they have lived a rough life.

I admire your talent of also being able to make such beautiful creations with such small hooks.

• 4 weeks later...

I wasn't around much for a couple of weeks and totally lost track of this thread because I forgot to subscribe to it-d'oh!

I'm all excited to find out how old it is! I'm glad now that I didn't mess around with it and hurt the finish...

You have a real prize. Your hook can be dated to approximately 1900. If it has a bluish tint then it is blued steel, if not then it is nickel plated steel. I haven't found a manufacturer yet, but I'm still looking through tons of research :D . Does it have a size on it?

That is so cool. It doesn't seem to have a bluish color, so nickel-plated steel, then. It says 6 on the thumbrest.

I haven't gotten a chance to crochet with it yet, though--I'll report back after I get to test-drive it.

This certainly piqued my interest

I also have one like the first pictured...steel-size 7 which made me take out a drawer full of hooks...

There's a "Bo Peep"; "Star", "Chic"; a few Milwards; Featherlites; and I have about a dozen Heros...one made in USA; one in England and the rest in Germany. Even one from Japan. Some are older, shorter and have no names, just sizes. There's even a couple of 3-1/2 sized. Some have caps and some have those plastic things on the end.

Susan Bates and Boye steel and the colored aluminum; ALL made in USA; some with prices of .10 cents to .55 cents. Names are printed differently on some of them...I suppose that would tell age? Such as "Boye" is alone on one side and then "Boye USA" is on another hook-one side; size on the other.

Where did I ever gather all these from? :eek

Hooklady? If you need/want pics of these I would be glad to send pics and more info on the hooks (what they say) to help in your research...:hook

This certainly piqued my interest

I also have one like the first pictured...steel-size 7 which made me take out a drawer full of hooks...

There's a "Bo Peep"; "Star", "Chic"; a few Milwards; Featherlites; and I have about a dozen Heros...one made in USA; one in England and the rest in Germany. Even one from Japan. Some are older, shorter and have no names, just sizes. There's even a couple of 3-1/2 sized. Some have caps and some have those plastic things on the end.

Susan Bates and Boye steel and the colored aluminum; ALL made in USA; some with prices of .10 cents to .55 cents. Names are printed differently on some of them...I suppose that would tell age? Such as "Boye" is alone on one side and then "Boye USA" is on another hook-one side; size on the other.

Where did I ever gather all these from? :eek

Hooklady? If you need/want pics of these I would be glad to send pics and more info on the hooks (what they say) to help in your research...:hook

I would love to see pictures. Expecially of the Hero made in Japan. The Boye and Bates ones, I would love to see close ups of the flats to see the markings.

You are so sweet to offer :hug , Thanks.

Archived