Homespun Prayer Shawl

ManfaMae

Question

I made a prayer shawl out of homespun in alternating sc and dc and just trimmed it with sc around the edges instead of doing fringe. It ended up looking pretty nice, but it is very stretchy. I'm worried that when I give it to the person I made it for, it will get all stretched out of shape and she won't want to use it. Is that just the way homespun does or is there a way to fix it?

8 answers to this question

I haven't done any bigger projects with Homespun, but I made several scarves and they just kept growing and growing, so I had the same stretchy problem. I don't think it would be bad on the shawl, though, if anything it could just be used more as a lap ghan.

I've made tons of stuff with Homespun and have never had a problem with stretching... :think I'm wondering, is it possible you made all your stitches in back or front loop only, as opposed through both loops of the stitches? That's the only possibility I can think of that might provide for some tendencies to stretch. Otherwise, I'm clueless. :think

I made all my stitches in both loops. I don't know...maybe I crochet to loose or something. It's only when you're trying to fold it that you realize that it gets stretched out of shape. It looks okay when it's worn, so I'm just going to go ahead and give it to the person. She had a traumatic experience last week, so I'm hoping the shawl will help comfort her a little.

When I crochet with Homespun, I use a J or K hook to help keep my project nice and tight - and not too stretchy. I haven't followed a lot of patterns using the recommended larger hooks because I don't like the looseness of them.

Archived