I HAVE SILK TO SPIN!!!!!

woolandflax

I've met some wonderful ladies recently since joining the Christian Knitters Blogring and one of them lives just an hour away. We're planning on getting together soon to knit and spin together. She sent me a present in the mail and I got it today. I have to say I've never been speechless before when given a gift. But when I opened that puffy to find handfuls of the most beautiful silk roving and merino rovings I almost cried.:c9 I will post a pic tomorrow since I need better light to do it justice but I need advice on spinning this! Has anyone here spun 100% silk before? I don't want to ruin it!!!:eek

I have absolutely no clue, but wow! what a pressie :manyheart

I'll be keen to hear what info you get because I've seen some lovely random-dyed silk rovings in a craft shop, and I'd like to buy some, but I'm not sure what to do with them.

I bet they feel lovely :fluffy

Don't panic !when you spin silk it needs more twist ,but not to strong a tension on your wheel. So you need to hold it just a fraction longer than you would spinning wool, otherwise it will fall apart ,also when you ply it ,ply it firmly so it holds together well. Again not to much tension and hold it a bit longer than you would for wool ,so in effect its a little over plied. When you've done it you will see why. Have a play with it, use it to learn with you can always buy more. Also if you don't want to ply the silk on itself ,you can ply it with any other fibre you like. Have fun!

well to be honest ive never had to set the twist because of how i spin it but i have left the singles on the bobbin for at least a couple of days so i suppose that has done it. But when i ply it on itself i make a skein and wash it ,not to set the twist just cause that was how i was taught. I don't use hot water for silk either luke warm is all. Hope that helps.

I am curious, does your silk have any chrysalis in it? (you know...coccoons?) I had some wool roving with silk and it and this in it all over and it was a pain in the butt to spin as I was constantly trying to pick the coccoons out of it. I never did get it all out and am hoping when I wash it more will come out.

Nope, no cocoons in there fortunately. I wish I had my camera! My brother borrowed it or I'd post a pic right now. It's dyed in shades of honey to a reddish chestnut brown to a dark charcoal grey.:manyheart

Wendy if your silk has bits of cocoon in it then it may not have been carded properly. I would suggest if you have hand cards or a friend with a drum carder to try carding it all again. Or even a fine dog comb and gently combing it, otherwise you could pick it out as you spin. You need time and patience either way. Goodluck

It came with my spindle and you know, I am going to be honest here, it kind of p'd me off. If you sell a spindle kit on ebay with wool/silk roving, the least you could do is not have coccoons throughout it. At first, I thought it was paper, but then came to the quick realization what it was. I was half wondering to myself if maybe some people like that in their yarn, like confetti and then just cringed at the thought of wearing this gorgeous scarf with cocoon confetti hanging from it. :eek

Thats awful i'm sorry you had that experience. Don't let it put you off not everyone is that unscrupulous just chalk it up to experience and get yourself some more rovings. Dudleyspinner has some stuff on her site. I'm in Australia or i would send you some myself, I just sent some to the wool swap.Goodluck

silk is definitely beautiful - but not all too much fun to spin (IMO) it gets everywhere. make sure you get a manicure before you begin. if there is even the slightest bit of dryness in your hands, it will find it!

i also have to take out my contacts and wear my glasses when i spin with silk. the fibers are just so light and the fly around and stick to everything.

it's beautiful, but a pain in the butt :lol

Wow Rebecca i never have that trouble. I usually put lotion on my hands if their dry but i spin it in the fold and dont get so much fly away stuff. This is a hot and dry country so we would expect it here, I do have that trouble with Alpaca though and i use a squirty bottle with water a small amount of detergent and a little olive oil shake it and spray on the fibre as i'm combing, carding and spinning the stuff.

Archived