I can't believe I frogged the whole thing

So, I'm making this shrug from a non-crochet magazine called Cutting Edge. It's supposed to fit Small/Medium. I rarely if ever check my gauge but this time I did. I was so off, way bigger than her swatch, that I decided she must be wrong. Not until I'm completely done do I realize that it doesn't fit me, it's way too SMALL!! :eek The only way to make it fit was to change something at the very beginning of the pattern. So I ripped the whole thing out last night. And started over. Rather than change the pattern I decided to go up a hook size. Thought that would be easier. I really hope it works, I just love this pattern. What a bummer. And there were mistakes in this pattern too, basic little, they should-have-found-them mistakes. In a magazine. I don't get it. :think

Oh I'm so sorry...I hope it works out for you in the end...

I made my "first hat from a pattern" from Lion Brand (although I've made hats from time to time over the years of my own patterns) and it was a very basic pattern...but the way it was written or the way I perceived it was written just simply didn't make sense to me...I did what I thought was exactly right, hook size, everything...but the hat came out too big, way too big for the gauge called for...and then I thought that it was suppose to be folded and sewn a certain way and nope, that didn't look right because then it was too bulky and too short...3:00 a.m. I woke with a start because I figured out what I did wrong...reread the pattern and it was just ackwardly written...but I ended up completely frogging the hat and making a completely different hat (same concept, but with ribbing, which the original pattern did not call for...)

I like Lion Brand's free patterns...I don't usually have a problem...

Good luck...keep us posted...

How's the re-do going? I've heard great things about this pattern and was going to make this shrug (waiting to receive magazine) but am NOT petite! Can't wait to hear .... I'll be going up a few needle sizes and probably adjusting as well.

Shawnee

Awww don't worry....I had to frog the whole laces and bobbles afghan I was working out ...I was already up to row 43 and I had to :frog the whole thing also...I had to :frog it 3 times before it started to look right...I even crowned myself the frogging queen.:lol

Here, allow me:

:bang

I just hate when that happens. Hope it comes out better the second time around.

How's the re-do going? I've heard great things about this pattern and was going to make this shrug (waiting to receive magazine) but am NOT petite! Can't wait to hear .... I'll be going up a few needle sizes and probably adjusting as well.

Shawnee

I went up a hook size first. That wasn't enough. Frogged yet again. The only change I could see making was at the very beginning so had to start from the beginning. I ended up doing the first 2 rows of each side one extra time. And I'm fairly petite. So, I would consider repeating those rows another time (especially if you're busty). I also didn't do the shaping where it says to do a half shell or cluster instead of a full one. That's where the two sides are joined and I'm not sure why she did that. I will say that I'm pretty happy with the results, but that is a really thick yarn, and perhaps not the most comfortable thing I've ever worn. PM me if you want.

Archived