can I really thread?

badrhinogillett

I have had a saying for years, "I would rather stick a crochet hook in my eye, than crochet with thread." It's been my happy little mantra when my mother suggests I try to crochet something like her grandmother used to do.

Then, I look at all the wonderful projects you have done, especially the snowflakes that I love so much (I had actually done some many years ago, which lead to my mantra), and I found myself this last weekend looking to buy a thread crochet book. I give all of you all the credit/blame for this!:lol

So, my question is if I've truly had a frustrating time in years past with thread crochet, but think I may want to try it and actually NOT stick the hook in my eye, then how should I begin?

Don't start too small. It can be frustrating when you are used to yarn. I would suggest starting with #3 thread & a small hook size you can be comfortable with (I use a "00"). Then, work your way down to the more delicate threads & smaller hooks. I'm javing a lot of fun using thread again. Give it a try:)

Alosha

I agree - start with a thicker thread. My first thread project was a done with a microscopic hook and it drove me crazy! I felt like a giant with such a teenie hook. That project never got finished. I don't even like using sport weight yarn because it's so thin. But a few months later, I saw some really pretty thread that I just couldn't resist. It was thicker than the last stuff I used & it really wasn't bad.

Don't start too small. It can be frustrating when you are used to yarn. I would suggest starting with #3 thread & a small hook size you can be comfortable with (I use a "00"). Then, work your way down to the more delicate threads & smaller hooks. I'm javing a lot of fun using thread again. Give it a try:)

Alosha

Very true! I have been working with thread for less that a year, and I haven't tried anything smaller than #10 thread (my sanity is precious to me). I think the most important thing is to find a project you love so you will want to finish it even if you get frustrated. Be careful though... thread really is addictive!;)

Proper size hook to the thread you are using, Most important proper size for you if you crochet tight go with two sizes larger hook than they recommend. I would start with either a size 3 of 5 crochet thread and a 00 hook down to - 2 size hook I wouldn't recommend going much smaller at this time.

Main thing is just relax you know how to Crochet. Just treat is a micro project with skinny yarn, If at all possible take a afghan motif you know well and do it in thread. You will know what you are doing and not worry about the pattern so much as to just getting used to the feel of thread. You can have a small coaster when you are done. One you can use just for yourself and be proud of. Tension is the biggest problem beginners have, you don't have to hold hook or thread in a tight grip. Relax and Have Fun.

Would love for you to have a great time on this as I am always ready to recruit another Threadie. Try my darndest any way, :devil This little guy needs a hook.

P.S. pick a light color it is easier to see what you are doing and good thread, like good yarn makes all the difference in the world.

:clap another Threadie is born! The only other input I would say is use a high quality thread like (DMC cebelia) afterall, thread work takes time and you want your piece to last and last. Also, cebelia gives a good shimmery look to the projects. Use COLORs... I love their baby blue...

If you don't want to use steel hooks right away, the Susan Bates Quicksilver hooks are easy to use and, if I have it right, the smallest size, B, is 2.25mm and works

just fine for lots of thread projects. I've used even larger hooks for #10 thread. I think Katchkan's right in her signature, that "yarn hums, but thread sings".

Great suggestions through-out. I have to add, try snowflakes again, or bookmarks. Something small to get you used to the thread and smaller hook with a quick completion time frame. Also, do a few swatches of the different stitches before you start anything. I've said it many times before, a one inch square of sc, dc, hdc and tr stitches will get you comfortable with gauge so you won't worry so much about the size of your materials and hook. Then you can concentrate on the pattern.

Have fun!

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions! I have several WIM's that I need to get to, but I think this upcoming Christmas, I'm going to try to have lots of snowflakes on my tree and to give as gifts! I'll let you know how it goes!

I started out doing a christmas ornament and about 2 months later i had about 50. My whole tree was crocheted ornaments that year. Then I moved on to namesake doiles. Which really came in handy when my husband was laid off for 1 year and 3 months and we had 8 weddings that summer. I love working with thread, but my eyes like to cross after working with it for a long period of time.

Archived