Hat-a-Week

Croshay

Ok, it figures, I find a pattern that somebody was talking about and I can't find the post!

Anyway, here is a Granny Square Hat - http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/granny-hat.html from Bev's country cottage... I have been there a ton of times and had never seen this pattern... untill today!

Tina

A much easier way to make above pattern is 4 squares of your chosen size stitched together in a strip, crochet top area with sc, or hdc, or dc or mix thereof (this is the crown area), stitch edge with scallops, shells or sc.

I might also suggest not chaining three in between in above pattern. This hat isn't going to be very warm, it's too open. If you only chain 1 instead of 3 it will be a much nicer weight. Actually I never space between my stitches on a granny square, they keep their shape a bit better that way and are a bit more solid. But, you can bridge this by using the crochet crown method, after all it's the top of the hat that keeps the body heat in.

Fast hat to make, and cute too, have fun.:yay

• Replies 962
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I learn better by seeing things written out - especially if I write it out myself - and I guess that's what's considered a visual learner. I never have taken the time to look it up and find out. I find that if I take notes or write something down, I remember it better even if I never go back and reread it.

Actually Croshay, you could be a cross between a visual and kinesthetic learner. The physical act of writing it down is kinesthetic and reading your notes as you write is visual.

Everyone learns using all four styles (audio, visual, kinesthetic and oral), but we each have a dominate area which is the easiest way for us to learn new information. As we get older, we develop internal strategies that allow us to learn from all four styles, but kids learn best in their dominate mode.

There is a great book out there called "The Way They Learn." It helps parents discover their children's learning styles, so they can help them succeed in school.

Actually Croshay, you could be a cross between a visual and kinesthetic learner. The physical act of writing it down is kinesthetic and reading your notes as you write is visual.

Everyone learns using all four styles (audio, visual, kinesthetic and oral), but we each have a dominate area which is the easiest way for us to learn new information. As we get older, we develop internal strategies that allow us to learn from all four styles, but kids learn best in their dominate mode.

There is a great book out there called "The Way They Learn." It helps parents discover their children's learning styles, so they can help them succeed in school.

The interesting thing about this is the dominance of gender. Kinesthetic is more dominate among men. Depending on how old you all are this holds more meaning. For those my age (55), we were mostly taught Kinesthetic real young, followed by a strong dominance of audio. As old ways were abandoned visual and audio took over. Then, a resurgence to Kinesthetic when they realized the number of kids with learning problems.

They've even brought back the old fashion things like felt boards because of the studies of touching and moving. Sadly though, in our time when kids were to sit quietly in a row and not talk, listen to the teacher, if you're audio learning skills hadn't developed you were sh out of luck. If you sqirmed they sent you to the office and tagged you a trouble maker.

If the teachers style is strong one way, and the childs learning is another, it makes for a bad combination.

Hey crochay, I'm doing well. While the joints are chronic, they aren't continuous. So last night they kept me tossing in bed, but today they are calm as can be. My un-professional opinion is that the pains are related to stress hormones.

Flybabytina, my list of hats-to-do has just been added to, thanks to the granny square hat you suggested. It looks pretty retro. And I usually do hats in the round, so this will be something new.

I've been following the thread and crocheting hats, finally figured out (I think) :think how to post pictures. Hope I did it right and ya all like my hats. Thanks for all the inspiration and the great crochet a long :cheer I've put the link if you want to see them better. There are some of Yarncat's hats (love them!!) All I can get is huge or the thumbnail pics to show up. Here goes

th_HatsForHandiworkMinistry2_06.jpg

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g256/Rockinmax/HatsForHandiworkMinistry2_06.jpg

Stacey

Well I hope I get this right, here are some hats I've made (these are for charity) they're 3 different sizes for infants.

ViewPhoto?u=4263380&a=31615137&p=73960798 I've put it both ways with image & link cause image didn't seem to be coming through!

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=4263380&a=31615137&p=73960798

I finished Week 10 on Friday. I am going to work on Week 11 tonight. I think somewhere I have a picture of a hat that I made from week 12. I may cheat and count it:hook . Then I'm off to week 13...is it posted? haven't looked yet. Off to look......

Have a wonderfluff day!

Melissa - Very cute hats!!!

Everyone - I have finished my week 6 hat and am working on week 7 (the baby derby). I will post a pic of week 6 as soon as our website starts working again. They are having issues with their server right now. However, I have a question for those of you who made the derby....how many rounds of increase did you do and how many rows of depth did you add after that? I'm not very good at "winging" things and don't know what to do.

Well I hope I get this right, here are some hats I've made (these are for charity) they're 3 different sizes for infants.

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=4263380&a=31615137&p=73960798 I've put it both ways with image & link cause image didn't seem to be coming through!

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=4263380&a=31615137&p=73960798

Hey unicorn37757 what pattern did you use for those they are really cute

That looks cute! Thanks for posting the link Melissa! :)
OK. I know this is fast, but I'm all caught up. :yay

Week 13

haw018.jpghaw019.jpg

I made it with Lion Brand's Ribbon Yarn. I took two takes so that the pattern could be seen. Still really can't see it. Oh well. My mom will love it, anyway.

Melissa - I love your latest hat!!!

Everyone - Attached is my week 6 hat. My website server is finally up!

Ktornatola - I'm jealous! Today was our first day of good weather.

Week6.jpg

Archived