Koolaid Dyeing - Love it!

Roxanne

I noticed that everyone dyes using wool, Is there anything else that can be dyed with koolaid? Has anyone tried dying just plain old acrylic? Just wondering!;)

I noticed that everyone dyes using wool, Is there anything else that can be dyed with koolaid? Has anyone tried dying just plain old acrylic? Just wondering!;)

Actually, acrylic won't take dyes....it has to be an "animal" fibre of some type so the yarn will absorb the dyes and thus, it's mostly wools for that reason...since acrylic is plastic, nothing permeates it...not even with heating.

That's beautiful! Such lovely vibrant colors!

Thanks!! The secret to getting the vibrant colours was making sure to soak the yarn in a bit of vinegar and water prior to dyeing it...that really helped with the absorption of the colours.

I don't believe acrylic is dyeable except possibly with Rit dye...I have cotton to dye and was told that also needs Rit as it is a plant fiber. I'm going to try your turkey baster method this weekend. I love kookaid dyeing..just check my blog.

I don't believe acrylic is dyeable except possibly with Rit dye...I have cotton to dye and was told that also needs Rit as it is a plant fiber. I'm going to try your turkey baster method this weekend. I love kookaid dyeing..just check my blog.

I saw your dyeing too Kathy...lovely! I think plant fibres are okay to dye too...since they are porous enough to absorb the colours too like animal fibres. At least from what I've read, you can dye cotton.

Nylon can also be dyed with koolaid. I haven't done it myself, but I have seen pictures of nylon people have dyed with koolaid.

Silk can be dyed with koolaid as well. Silk yarn is outrageously expensive, but I have found some cheap silk scarfs (only a couple dollars) to dye at Dharma Trading Company. This is an on line company specializing in dyes and things to dye. Silk can be dyed with either wool type dyes or cotton type dyes. In the past I have dyed cotton and I would often through in a silk scarf with the yarn, because they are thin and do not take up much dye. I don't wear them much know because I wear crochet shawls or ponchos most of the time. But it is a little some thing you can add to the dye pot with very little extra work. They would probably make nice gifts or something to sell at a craft show. Silk does not usually turn out as bright as the yarn.

I sucessfully dyed a pair of white nylons with regular food coloring. They are a really bright green - a bit too bright for me to wear. They might be good for a kid or someone who is in to very bright colors.

I saw your dyeing too Kathy...lovely! I think plant fibres are okay to dye too...since they are porous enough to absorb the colours too like animal fibres. At least from what I've read, you can dye cotton.

Is it possible to dye cotton yarn, just not with food based colors, like Kool-Aid or Wilton's Frosting Dye. These colors won't actually dye plant fibers like they do animal ones... Most of the colors will wash right out, and what's left is more of a stain, not a dye.

You'll need to use dyes that are intended for fabric dyeing to color cotton.

Archived