Desperately need help

unipeg

Question

I know it's the holidays and all and don't expect an immediate answer but I need help:thair . I'm working on a blanket (for me this time) and just can't get past the 5th row. Here's how it reads:

Skill level is average

Size J hook & worsted weight yarn

Row 1: Loosely ch 105, sc in 2nd ch from hook, sc in each sc across, turn. (104 sc)

Row 2: Working this row in front lps only, ch 4, tr in each st across, turn.

Row 3: Working in front of last row, tr in front lp of 2nd st on row 1, sc in first st of last row, (dc in each of next 2 sts, tr in same st as last tr on row 1, skip each of next 2 sts on row 1, tr in front lp of next st, sc in next st on last row) across to last st, dc in last st, turn.

Row 4: Ch 1, skipping dc, tr in each sc and in each tr across, turn (104 tr).

Row 5: Ch 3, tr fp around first tr on row before last, (tr fp around both of next 2 tr on row before last, sc in next st on last row, dc in each of next 2 sts, tr fp around same sts on row before last as last tr fp) across to last st, sc in last st, turn.

Row 6: Repeat row 4.

Now the problem I'm having is that for some reason my stitch count is always off (too many stitches), I can't get past row 5. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, I've taken this apart twice and started over but still can't get is straight. I really love the picture of the finished product, hopefully it's something really simple that I'm missing.:faint

20 answers to this question

I want to thank you again Bendy for helping me with this so called average pattern:day . I just completed row 6 which I wasn't able to do before, I'm so excited now that I am going to be able to finish this thing. Plus I finally got my scanner to work and scanned the photo of that afghan for you all that have helped me:hook

77791475_dc5734c210_m.jpg

Hi,

We are having Christmas tonight. If you can be on at midnight Eastern time, I could help you then.

Bendy

Bendy I will definately try to be on at midnight eastern time, I can't promise. But with anticipation of getting this pattern figured out:cheer I probably won't be able to sleep:hook

Hi Alisha,

This pattern is very different from most. You are actually supposed to crochet in the stitches behind the post stitches. Those stitches are not skipped. To make up the difference, the dc sts on the next row are skipped so the total stays at 104.

Bendy

One thing you could be doing wrong is not skipping the stitch behind the front post stitch do you understand?Where you're doing the front post stiches make sure you aren't then single crocheting into that stich at the top like a normal stitch.

It looks like you have given up for the night. If you want to post a time or times when we might be able to meet, I will try to help you with this. It does read as a complicated pattern, but really isn't that difficult once you get the hang of it.

Bendy

Thanks Bendy (and everyone else), I will probably be online tonight around 8pm eastern time for a couple of hours. Sorry I didn't see your post lastnight, I really appreciate your help.

It looks like you have given up for the night. If you want to post a time or times when we might be able to meet, I will try to help you with this. It does read as a complicated pattern, but really isn't that difficult once you get the hang of it.

Bendy

Okay, the meds I am taking are kicking in and now the pattern is very confusing to me....:ha....So...I guess I will try and help you tomorrow. I am sorry. You must really be in love with the blanket, I wouldn't have glanced at the pattern and given up on it before starting. :P

Row 5: Ch 3, tr fp around first tr on row before last, (tr fp around both of next 2 tr on row before last, sc in next st on last row, dc in each of next 2 sts, tr fp around same sts on row before last as last tr fp) across to last st, sc in last st, turn.

Now the problem I'm having is that for some reason my stitch count is always off (too many stitches)

Just looking at it, I'm wondering if the part I made blue means to tr fp around both stitches at once? Theoretically that could explain why you're ending up with too many stitches, if you're doing each tr separately and they're supposed to be together. Just a thought... Hope you figure it out!

I would have to agree this is not an "average" level pattern. Row 3 is a great example of the difficulty of this pattern. I think I will have an answer for you in about a half hour...maybe you will still be up by then :lol

I'm not a very advanced crocheter. But, not too many folks are in C'ville right now. I'll try. Do you have a row where there are the right number of stitches? I always count posts to keep track of stitches. If you have a row you can use as a "measuring stick", then look really closely at each stitch COMPARED WITH EACH STITCH in the row where there are too many stitches. Maybe you'll notice something.

Next idea: Go thru the pattern backwards and compare each step with what you've done.

If this doesn't work, maybe I'll think of something else before I have to sign off or maybe an advanced crocheter will sign on.

Sorry if my ideas are too basic.

Yes, rows 1-4 have the correct number of stitches, it's when you do row 5 that you end up with additional stitches. If you stop on row 5 when you have the correct number of stitches there the row will be way too short. But I am beginning to wonder now that in row 4 where they say "tr in each sc and in ea tr across" they are talking about the previous rows tr's and not the additional ones you just put in for row 5. I don't know I'm so confused:confused

I am working on this for you. I am on Row 3 right now and have to put it down for a few hours. When I come back I will try to get to row 5. Very interesting pattern. I can see how it can be complicated because you are working on other rows. I am using a white yarn and it looks odd right now. I wonder if you did some of the rows in different contrasts if it would look better. Is this an online pattern?

No the pattern isn't online, it's one that I've had out of a "Hooked on Crochet" magazine from 1995. I could try to scan it and see how it comes out along with the picture they show. In the description it says "wrap yourself in the warm, soft folds of this thick, twice-textured afghan". For what they consider an average pattern it sure is difficult.:blush

I am working on this for you. I am on Row 3 right now and have to put it down for a few hours. When I come back I will try to get to row 5. Very interesting pattern. I can see how it can be complicated because you are working on other rows. I am using a white yarn and it looks odd right now. I wonder if you did some of the rows in different contrasts if it would look better. Is this an online pattern?

I don't consider myself to be advanced by any means, but I have been crocheting for alot of years...Something I would check is to see if you are adding an extra stitch at the end of the row. I have done this countless times, and it is very frustrating, I know! I would frog back to where you know you have the right amount of stitches and then count as you make each stitch and stop when you have the right amount and see how it looks. I somehow used to add an extrat stitch is the previous turning chain, and that would always get my count off...Good luck!

Laurie:hook

Happy Holidays!

I'm not a very advanced crocheter. But, not too many folks are in C'ville right now. I'll try. Do you have a row where there are the right number of stitches? I always count posts to keep track of stitches. If you have a row you can use as a "measuring stick", then look really closely at each stitch COMPARED WITH EACH STITCH in the row where there are too many stitches. Maybe you'll notice something.

Next idea: Go thru the pattern backwards and compare each step with what you've done.

If this doesn't work, maybe I'll think of something else before I have to sign off or maybe an advanced crocheter will sign on.

Sorry if my ideas are too basic.

Just two ideas: when you look at the number of stitches in your turning chains and the number of stitches in the turning chains in the photo, are they the same number? Are you working one stitch more into the turning chain than is done in the photo?

Sorry I can't help more.:think

Archived