Hi all!

lene

Just wanted to say hello, and to introduce myself. I'm Lene', and even though I learned to crochet many years ago when my grandma showed me how to make granny squares, I've never really done much with it til just recently. Now I'm becoming an addict, so between yarn, coffee, and books, I have three substances to try to control. Not easy!

I recently ordered some yarns from Smiley's, and discovered the Paton's Cha-Cha yarn. I think this is called an eyelash yarn? Whatever it is, I love it! Have made myself a very long skinny scarf (more like a fuzzy yarn strand of garland to drape around my neck. I'll be a colorful Christmas tree. I guess.) Also made a scarf for my mom, and have started a fuzzy bag for myself with it. (I single crocheted 2 strands of the fuzzy yarn with a single strand of a cheap worsted weight yarn I picked up at Goodwill. It made the body of the bag very dense and firm, which works well since the Cha-Cha on its own would be a bit loose and stretchy for a bag I plan on carrying my keys and notebook/pen in.)

I got 3 skeins of something called lane cervinia fiamma, as well. It is the softest stuff, a thick and thin yarn. I love the way it feels, and the colors in the variegated yarn. But I'm stumped as to what I can do with it. I know 3 skeins won't make a sweater for me, esp. since I'm a size 20 or so. I could use it to make another bag, but almost hate to use something so huggably soft on a bag. And I 'm not sure I really want a scarf, but if 3 skeins would make a stole/shawl, I'd like that. If any of you are familiar with this yarn, could you let m know if I could get a stole or shawl from it, and maybe recommend a pattern that would work?

One thing I want to try fairly soon is to make myself a pair of socks. I did get a pattern booklet (called "Learn to Crochet Socks) and started a pair that work from the top down. I think I must have done something wrong, because after doing the amount the book called for to make the top part (that goes around the ankle) I found that it would need to be at least 3 times the size in order to go around my ankles. Now, I may be heavy, but I can wear normal sized socks bought from the store with no problem, so I'm guessing I must have screwed up somehow, although I'm not quite sure how. I've followed harder patterns before doing doilies, and this was basically just a rectangle of ribbing. Ah well, will try again, maybe using a toe up pattern. Is the dead simplest one the one at grafton fibers?

Well, not sure what else to say for now. Nice to meet all of you!

Lene'

Nice to meet you, Lene'.

I'm Karen, I've been crocheting for a long time but have picked it up again in the last 2 years with more vigor after not doing a lot for a number of years.

I live in England because my dh is English, but I am from OK.

Glad you found us here and I hope you enjoy your time with us.

Thanks for the welcomes! I already love this forum, but heaven help me, I can see where I'll have to watch myself. I was up til almost 2AM reading these message boards! Yikes!

Need I say, it was a lot of fun? :D!

Lene'

Hi Lene',

Welcome!!

I know you will enjoy Crochetville. I am knew here as well. I live in Vancouver WA.

The Cha Cha yarn makes a very nice wrap or shawl also. I have some photos posted. Two of the wraps are cha cha (jazz) yarn. Nice to have you!!!!

Fran

nwbondlady

photobucket.com/albums/v721/nwbondlady/

HI lene

welcome!! I'm new too. And I know what you mean about staying up to read the boards lol..

Sorry I can't answer your question on the shawl/yarn.. I am just starting to venture away from red heart lol..

Barbara

Hi Lene, and Fran!

I didn't get to welcome Fran when she first got here, but I did invite her. I hope that you stay as addicted as everyone else is Lene. If you ever need any help this place is the greatest!

:w-snow2 This is what it is doing outside right now!

Kelly~

Hi, Lene! Welcome to Crochetville! :welcome :grouphug

Did you gauge swatch before you started your socks? Maybe you were off gauge. A lot of people do like the toe-up ones from Grafton Fibers. And it's easier to try on the toe-up ones as you go.

Archived