Anyone interested in hook patents?

jimbo

Jimbo here.

Its not in my profile, but I'm a retired (well semi-retired) patent agent. I've been thinking about offering to post shots from time to time, showing patents that have been granted on crochet hooks or related devices.

Believe it or not, there are still patents being granted on hook variations. Plus i can go back and dig up old patents as well.

Anyone interested?

Here's a sample of a relatively recently issued US patent. Hopefully the image will be large enough for you to see. If not maybe someone can tell me how to post larger pictures.... if there's an interest.

th_hookpatent.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I've just found this post. It is an interesting subject. I couldn't read the photo you posted but would like to know more. If you have web links or books with photos obtainable thru interlibrary loan, could you post them?

I've just found this post. It is an interesting subject. I couldn't read the photo you posted but would like to know more. If you have web links or books with photos obtainable thru interlibrary loan, could you post them?

Wow! Someone finally replied to my post! Thanks Gran!

Did you try clicking on the little photo? I did and it blows up to a readable size. There's also a drawing there of the hook described in the patent. I kind of picked it at random from the search site at the PTO (Patent and Trademark Office). There's lots of fascinating patents on crochet hooks. Many have never been on the market, others describe current designs.

My idea was to once in awhile take a look into the patent databases, find something interesting, and post it here... just for fun and maybe to inspire some creative hook thinking.

I'm sorry to say though, Gran, that i'm not aware of any books on hook patents...although i've considered from time to time about making up a compilation to show the evolution as far as i might be able to trace it through the patent systems.

Unfortunately it looked like only you and Drey (and me) have any interest so i put the project in my "that was a dumb thing to do" file and went back to whittling.

Hi

The Meno Trigger Grip has a patent pending on it. How long does it take for a patent to come through?

Drey

Thats a tough question, Drey. Patent applications when filed, go through an examination period that can lead from the examiner in the Patent office, to a Board of Appeals, to the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, to the Supreme Court and back to the Patent office. However lots of applications are accepted fairly quickly. So you can have a period of as little as, oh, maybe 8 months to a number of years before a patent comes through.

Out of curiosity, i did a quick look to see if anyone named Meno has a patent issued and found no results. That doesn't mean much though, because the inventor may not have been a Meno.

If you know the inventor's name, i might be able to help you more.

I was wondering about a hook that woul d be more comfortable for my Mom. This may not b the post... But she has arthritus really bad but loves to crochet. SO I was thinking for her a gift..... But I dont knwo nuttina bout it

I was wondering about a hook that woul d be more comfortable for my Mom. This may not b the post... But she has arthritus really bad but loves to crochet. SO I was thinking for her a gift..... But I dont knwo nuttina bout it

Hi Queenie! You might want to do a search under the topic "ergonomic" hooks. There's some threads that might come up there about padded hooks and specially shaped hooks for easier gripping.

Actually Jimbo i found that rather interesting myself. I never thought about anyone patenting crochet hooks before. I think it would make an interesting book if you were able to do it. I'd be your first customer.

Hi Jimbo

I looked on the Meno Trigger Grip website and it looks like Bob Mineau and his wife are the inventors - but it says patent pending so I assume it won't show up on the patent web site yet??

The hook you carved with the trigger on it looks similar to the their's. Since they have applied for a patent wouldn't that be a concern?

As to a book, I think that would be a great idea. You could start with the history of crocheting various tools & materials patents etc. Good luck!

Drey:sman

Sorry I didn't read this earlier, Jimbo - I think it would be cool to see what is in the works and possibly what is coming in the future in the way of crochet hooks and other crochet related do-dads!! By the way, I love your hand carved hooks!

Laurie:hook

I'm int'd. It's so new to me, I don't know what to ask. I really enjoy looking at how tools get developed and are refined. I spend hours and hours looking at all the photos of the earliest sewing machines, hand cranks and all. The history of the crooks we use is fascinating material! Did anyone see any "crooks" being used in the film "Braveheart"? Maybe brought to northern Scotland by the Vikings? Maybe there's a doctoral dissertation somewhere revealing early Celtic crooks and how 19th century patents were based on these pre-Roman tools....

Hi Jimbo

I looked on the Meno Trigger Grip website and it looks like Bob Mineau and his wife are the inventors - but it says patent pending so I assume it won't show up on the patent web site yet??

The hook you carved with the trigger on it looks similar to the their's. Since they have applied for a patent wouldn't that be a concern?

As to a book, I think that would be a great idea. You could start with the history of crocheting various tools & materials patents etc. Good luck!

Drey:sman

Gee thanks Drey, now i suppose the feds will be knocking at my door and i'll be taking Martha's place in the slammer.

Seriously, i have no intent to copy anyone's patent protected rights and if i'm even coming close you won't see another hook like that coming off the end of my pocket knife!

Where shall we start our research?

There's this great little place down on East Main called Berts Slurp and Burp....

haha...

but really, it might be a fun thing to collaborate on eh?

Don't steal my thunder.:P I have been researching hooks for 6 years now and am in the process of writing a book on crochet hook history. Hope I can count on all of you to purchase one.

I am also doing booklets on collecting Boye and Bates hooks including the dates and markings on the hooks. If you have a particular hook question I would be happy to answer where I can.

The patent office (or maybe it was me) has messed up my ability to copy patent drawings to photobucket... but if and when i get it straightened out, i'll post some stuff from time to time that i think might be interesting or thought provoking.

And don't worry, Hooklady.... your thunder's safe. In fact if you find any of the stuff i dig up of interest to your research... use it with my blessing. Its all public information anyway.

And don't worry, Hooklady.... your thunder's safe. In fact if you find any of the stuff i dig up of interest to your research... use it with my blessing. Its all public information anyway.

Thanks Jimbo. I can use all the help I can get. I'm saving up for one of your hooks. I want to use it in the book in the chapter on hand made hooks.

In your patent search, if you want to know if a hook was manufactured, I can let you know whether I have come across the hook in my research.

Ok here you go. I finally managed to e-transfer a patent drawing from the Patent Office to C'ville. Don't even really know how it happened, but i found it in my pictures, so here you go. Click on the image to enlarge. In fact it enlarges way too big so you might have to scroll around a bit to see it all (didn't know how to make it littler, sorry).

th_97e3bbd7.jpg

Don't know any of the history, but i'd bet some of the history buffs here (Hooklady? Gran??)might recognize the hook and the inventor's name (G. A. Carlson), and might be coaxed into telling us more..

This is the beginning of the patented Boye tapered head. It was further perfected and a more defined taper was added to the throat of the hook in a patented applied for in 1948 and granted I think in 1953.

You see this number on the plastic and wood hooks manufactured during this period.

I knew you'd know!! Thanks for the historic commentary.

However, i think from here on out i'm going to stay away from historic hooks and just post stuff about hooks or accessories that are more of a whimsical nature. That way i won't be prompting you to discuss stuff that you might be putting in your book.

Archived