Shawl-Christmas present for boyfriend's mum - now with pattern

Cuddlefish

As the mother of an adult son, I can honestly say that if I received a present like that from his SO I would be very touched and honored. I'm even getting misty-eyed just thinking about it. Truly a gift from the :heart!

And I totally agree:

:) I think she will get the message. It is very, very pretty. I think it is a lovely gift.Nicole

Alright. I don't know if anybody's interested, but I said I would, so here goes:

Your number of stitches has to be dividable by 6+7.

The stitches that give the star effect are like this:

First row: 1 dc in 7th ch from hook. *2 ch, skip 2, 1 sc in the next stitch, 2 ch, skip 2. Crochet '1 dc, 5 ch, 1 dc'* in the next stitch. Repeat from * to * until end of row.

Row 2: 7 ch. Crochet 1 sc in the chain of 5, then 2 ch, '1dc, 5 ch, 1 dc in the next stitch, 2 ch. repeat from * to *, end with 1 sc in the 'turning-chain' of the last row.

Rest: Repeat row 2, but only make 1 dc in the last sc of each row, and then 5 ch, and one sc in the edge. Start next row with 1 ch and 1 cs in the first chain of ch's. Continue until all stitches have been taken in.

As I said before, this pattern came from a Danish mag from the 60's. However, I do believe that this stitch combination is not unique to them, and as I haven't told you anything about kind of yarn, hook size or the number of stitches they suggested, I can't see how there could be a copyright issue. Furthermore, the shawl I made looks nothing like the one they showed in their pic. I don't even think that the magazine is published any longer.

So mods, if you think this is a problem, please let me know and I'll make some changes to this post myself. Please don't just delete it. :hug

Archived