What crochet book would you DIE for?

Melissa

Or, to be less dramatic...what books are on your lists? Hubby wants to know what I want for Christmas - I suggested yarn, he countered with the 'wouldn't you be happier with it if you picked it out yourself' routine, I pondered books but couldn't think which ones to suggest. Attempted wading through 'crochet books' on Amazon but was overwhelmed.

Any suggestions? What's on your 'as soon as I can get my hands on it' list? Knit or crochet, I'm not picky. ;)

Thanks!

Well..........I think it depends on what area of crochet you're into. I like it all so I buy it all, wire, felting,clothing, dolls, on and on...I have less baby books than anything. But having revealed that, I think there are some wise investments that cover a lot of crochet areas.

Crochet School....A Complete Course

Encyclopedia of Crochet

Although I opted not to purchase this one I know a lot of folks want or have it.

The Crochet Stitch Bible

If you make clothing then Cool Crochet is something worth having.

A few I have I enjoy and use often are:

Blue Ribbon Crochet

Vogue Knitting On The Go...Crocheted Hat

Vogue Knitting On The Go....Crocheted Scarves

Hip to Crochet

Gosh there are a ton more....:P

Im sure many others have different preferences...:hook

Yep, what she said!! :yes

I especially second the Crochet Stich Bible, Crochet School, and the Encyclopedia of Crochet as good, well rounded choices. The Encyclopedia in particular includes great directions, good information on fiber types and pattern reading, a nice sized stitch collection, as well as about 20 patterns for various items, including socks, a shawl, an Irish crochet purse and a nice shell top.

I'd also suggest 300 Crochet Stitches if you're interested in another good stitch collection - I just got this the other day and have found it contains tips I've not encountered yet, which is always nice.

And if you like to make squares, then 200 Crochet Blocks is a good addition to your library.

Just got this one. (A birthday/Christmas present for myself.) I am liking it. A lot.

Another good book that just came out is the Crochet Answer Book. A bit smaller in size than the Crochet Stitch Bible, but full of good info. :tup

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1580175988/qid=1133579798/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/103-8420067-8258248?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

The Encyclopedia of Crochet is an excellent resource, the vogue book of crocheted scarves is nice. Does anyone have the Jensen book on crosheted scarves and the other on bags?

They are shaped, and have bright covers- are they helpful or useful?

Thanks-

debbi

I like "Hip to Crochet" by Judith Swartz.

And if you like afghans, I just got Herrschener's Blue Ribbon Afghans and the afghans are beautiful. I got it off of ebay. Here's a posting: http://cgi.ebay.com/Herrschners-Blue-Ribbon-Afghans-1998_W0QQitemZ4588109182QQcategoryZ378QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

If you're interested in other needle/yarn/thread crafts (needlepoint, knitting, quilting, embroidery, macrame, rug work, lace making, cross stitch, etc.), along with crochet, I love the Reader's Digest Guide to Needle work. It has a great selection of crochet stitches (although I'm sure you could find more in the Crochet Stitch bible) and an introduction and guide to other needle crafts.

Also, I never thought I'd really enjoy an Annie's Attic pattern book, until my mom bought me one called "Special Occasions". It just has some fun holiday stuff. Some of it's really cheesy/tacky and some of it's pretty; but it's all fun stuff. They're having a sale; so it may be worth checking out: www.anniesattic.com

Good luck and happy holidays!

Archived