Saddle blankets

southwind

Question

14 answers to this question

I suppose you could go to a tackle store and get the size of a saddle blanket then just single crochet one. What a great idea. You could make all types of colors.

My father had 8 Palomino's and I never thought to crochet saddle blankets for him. He passed away in the 90's.

You'd do well at the Rodeo's. I use to barrel race as a young girl.

Linda Ü

Just remember that if you decide to crochet a saddle pad it should be done in either cotton or wool. You can burn the horses back using acrylic yarn. It holds the heat next to the horse's skin and can cause real problems.

It needs to be done in at least 2 strands of yarn and very tight stitches so it doesn't shift around under the saddle. I bought a machine knit one once because it was pretty and regretted it. It bunched up under the saddle and never laid right. Good luck if you decide to try this. You can find the dimensions you need in any tack catalog.

Thank you all-I do have horses-actually train and breed Egyptian Arabian horses-was thinking of making saddle blankets-to go over pads-as in for show-decoration-maybe out of chenile-pretty, soft-shiny-they would never be recommended to actually lay on the horses back-simply go over say a felt pad-under the saddle. Here are my critters

http://www.southwindarabian.com

Thank you all-I do have horses-actually train and breed Egyptian Arabian horses-was thinking of making saddle blankets-to go over pads-as in for show-decoration-maybe out of chenile-pretty, soft-shiny-they would never be recommended to actually lay on the horses back-simply go over say a felt pad-under the saddle. Here are my critters

http://www.southwindarabian.com

Believe me, I'm no expert on horses but yours are just gorgeous! So nice and shiny! Beautiful! :manyheart

Edited to say: Midnightson looks just like black beauty. :manyheart

Also, is it the Egyptian Arabian breed that gives the horse such an usually shaped head or am I completely off the mark? :think

Hi,

Actually the arabian horse in general is noted for the lovely "dished" heads you see-for example in artwork-Egyptians are simply horses that are desentant from certain breeding programs9egypt, ect..) there are several Types of arabians, polish, russian, egyptian, domestic, crabbet.

When you see a lovely quarter horse or paint with what they call a baby doll head-that comes from arabian blood-a thoroughbred is a desendant from the arabian horse-most light breeds have arabian in them at some point in the pedigree.

Thank you for the compliments on my guys and girls! They are very people freindly-love kids, and very smart animals.

I'm no help here at all, I just wanted to chime in and say that Monshara is soooo beautiful! All of them are, but she really stood out to me! I love horses - I wish I could afford a few acres of land so I could have a couple horses! That is my ultimate dream! Give them all hugs and kisses for me!

Okay this is something that I have thought about doing for my dad and grandpa because they have horses and mules that they ride. My idea was that the blankets actually be used and I had the idea of using wool and then felting it. Would that possibly work? In order to make a 30x30 blanket how much bigger do you think I should make it to allow for shrinkage during felting?