Spiral scarves?

A question for those who have made spiral scarves.

I was thinking about making one for my niece, but would like to know if it will keep her warm like a "regular" scarf or are they more of a stylish accessory.

Thanks.

Diane:cheer

I made my sis a ruffled scarf out of Paton's Divine last month for her birthday, and naturally, had to try it on. I loved it! The ruffle was sufficiently large that all she has to do is wrap it once around her neck. The ruffle stands up and frames the chin. It's not so thick that you can't wrap it twice, either. So the pattern is totally functional for cold weather. Patty

It all depends on the yarn. I've made those spiral scarves out of both a mohair blend and a merino wool. Obviously, the worsted merino is warmer, also because of the weight of the yarn. This week, I'm starting another mohair one for my mother-in-law. She lives in Mexico City where it doesn't get too terribly cold. She doesn't need the weight of merino for where she lives.

So for your neice, try a slightly heavier yarn. A worsted won't drape in the same way as a lofty mohiar, but it will be cosy and still look fabulous.

I can't remember the specific mohair I've already used, but the merino worsted was Malabrigo, using only one hank.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I find it really depends on the weight of the yarn/size hook you use. I've made them with acrylic worsted weight (red heart and simply soft, but not in the same scarf), with a mohair type yarn (but I think it was still acrylic), and out of a really bulky yarn (chunky usa). I think the bulky one or worsted would work well for actually keeping you warm, and it really depends on how large you make the spirals. If you only work one or two rows, it's going to be thinner and you will have to wrap it many more times to cover your neck. But it you make it around 5-6 rows (like I do), it makes it warmer.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks everyone!!!:cheer

I have RH supersaver, Pinata print I want to make a nice bright color scarf. Would that make it warm enough?

They really look better done in a textured yarn IMHO :) A boucle or fuzzy yarn looks really great

Here's some I made with simply soft and bernat boucle and the tan one was done in patons divine so soft :c9

rufflyscarvessm.jpg

I made a spiral scarf using plain old worsted weight acrylic (yarn had lost it's label many moons ago) for the chain then 4 rows, and used some fun fur type yarn for the 5th row. I have to agree that they CAN be warm! I made mine super long so that I could wrap it around my neck twice and STILL have enough hanging! Even wrapped once, it is warm.

Tina

(Who thinks it would be fun to have a Spiral Scarf SWAP!)

Archived