Size of finished ami

Tampa Doll

Question

I am making some Christmas Ami's.  The pattern calls for size 4 (1.75 mm) hook and size 2 yarn.

Now I have made the first and it is a little big for my taste.

Can I go to size 7 (1.50 mm) hook and size 10 thread to make it smaller.  It is 5 inches and seems like a little big for a tree decoration.  

Boy I hope you guys can help me.

9 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Tampa Doll said:

I am making some Christmas Ami's.  The pattern calls for size 4 (1.75 mm) hook and size 2 yarn.

Now I have made the first and it is a little big for my taste.

Can I go to size 7 (1.50 mm) hook and size 10 thread to make it smaller.  It is 5 inches and seems like a little big for a tree decoration.  

Boy I hope you guys can help me.

Yes. Should shrink it quite a bit. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NCcountrygal said:

Yes. Should shrink it quite a bit. 

Thank you.  I thought so, but the steele hooks confuse me.  They get bigger the smaller the number, where the regular get bigger the higher the letter.  I am getting to old for this stuff.:rofl:2rock

I would make a small swatch just for size comparison between the two yarns and hooks. Even just a small 1-2 inch swatch will show you the difference.

Thank you Reni.  I made another with the thread and it is about 1/2 the size of the first one.

I had what my friends call a brain fart.  I knew, but my brain thought that was wrong.  I think it was because they called for a size 4 hook and I am use to a 7.  Did not see logical that the 7 would be smaller than the 4.

It is like thread.  The bigger the number the smaller the thread.

1 minute ago, Tampa Doll said:

Thank you Reni.  I made another with the thread and it is about 1/2 the size of the first one.

I had what my friends call a brain fart.  I knew, but my brain thought that was wrong.  I think it was because they called for a size 4 hook and I am use to a 7.  Did not see logical that the 7 would be smaller than the 4.

It is like thread.  The bigger the number the smaller the thread.

I never could figure out why the hooks were the opposite sizing between steel and yarn hooks. History about crochet hooks and knit needles are interesting and there's so little about them in regard to antique/vintage information. Of course, I'm a history nerd when it comes to many subjects so I soak in all I can.

• Like 1

I wonder if the steel hook numbering was at one time related to the US  wire sizing concept, because it works the same way (a thin number wire gauge# is a bigger# than a thick wire gauge #).    :shrug 

Tiny US  knitting needle sizing goes below zero...  https://lifeiscozy.com/needle-sizes 

6 hours ago, Granny Square said:

I wonder if the steel hook numbering was at one time related to the US  wire sizing concept, because it works the same way (a thin number wire gauge# is a bigger# than a thick wire gauge #).     

Tiny US  knitting needle sizing goes below zero...  https://lifeiscozy.com/needle-sizes 

Well that's a great thought. And here I've done beading for 30 years with bead thread and wires and it didn't even occur to me. Duh! 😂