Crocheting a scar by width not length

Sunshine Crocheter

Question

So I am making a scarf. The pattern I going by width instead of length. So instead of startingwith a chin of like 104 and going like that it is 34 stitches. But I am confused as to how the scarf gets longer and nit just grows in height . It is going up not out and it just doesn't make sense to me. I guess i am just missing something cause I don't get how this works 

Edited by Sunshine Crocheter

14 answers to this question

Let me make sure I am understanding what you are calling width and length - If I were making a long narrow muffler-type scarf to wrap around my neck, I'd call the narrow direction the width (say 6" or so as an example) and the length the long direction (usually about the same measurement as your height).

Let's pretend you are using Red Heart Super Saver and your personal stitch tension is the same as the sample on the label , which is 12 SC rows=4" high with an I sized hook.  So after 24 SC rows at whatever width you want (short direction) you should have  8" in height--the row width will stay the same, since you are always working rows across the same # of stitches.  So it will get taller with every row you add.  If 12 rows is 4", one row should be a third of an inch high, so your scarf will get taller by 1/3 inch each row.

• Haha 1

Not sure we have enough info to help.  Is this a standard add a row back and forth or is it a shaped type thing.  It would help if you could give us the link to the pattern if its on the internet or even a photo of it along with a photo of what you have done.

• Sad 1

That is why I defined what is width and length.  In crochet or knit fabric, width is normally the word you use to measure across a row, and unless you increase the number of stitches side to side, that stays the same.  Length happens with the accumulation of rows. Width is is determined by the number of stitches across, length by number of rows. 

• Haha 1

Posting at the same time again....Good point Bgs, I was thinking 'standard back and forth in rows' and it could be something else, but 34 stitches across is about what I'd use to make a potholder with #4 kitchen cotton, which sounded like a reasonable scarf width. 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Granny Square said:

Posting at the same time again....Good point Bgs, I was thinking 'standard back and forth in rows' and it could be something else, but 34 stitches across is about what I'd use to make a potholder with #4 kitchen cotton, which sounded like a reasonable scarf width. 

I am not understanding whats going on..  If you are making rows of stitches the piece should be getting larger one way or the other.

• Confused 1

https://photos.app.goo.gl/a1XSLnnokzzVmdUG8

It is getting taller. The rows go back and forth. What I am saying is that it should be say 60 inches long. And say 4 inches wide. But instead if chaining 100 something stitches to make it the pattern says to chain 34. Than you double crochet until the end turn and chain 2 and double crochet until you reach desired length . I am just not sure because it is getting taller with each row but not longer . It stays the same 12 inches from side to side. Get me now?

https://easycrochet.com/fabulously-fall-fringe-scarf/#pattern

Just keep following your pattern.  There is not a problem.  The taller eventually gets to 60 inches tall (or however long you want your scarf to be) at which point you rotate it 90 degrees and then "the taller" becomes the  length of your scarf.

Edited by bgs
  • Thanks 1

I realize that.. I could not find the link for my pattern because I had printed it our awhile ago. So this was a similar size to what my pattern says. They are almost the same dimensions and are pretty similar in the number of stitches so I used this pattern as an example of what my pattern  is like