Southbay Shawlette

shuttlebuggy

Just completed my 3rd Southbay Shawlette and am addicted to this quick pattern workup! These are being donated to a Prayer Shawl group. I have enjoyed some "cake eating" patterns to bust up my big stash of cake yarn that I am attempting to cull down as I became overrun with them! The tutorial I followed for this pattern was on YouTube by:

Cabin Fever Crochet ❤️ ~https://youtu.be/vwmTdeCycqM

2022-06-14_21.50.11.jpg

Edited by shuttlebuggy
  • Like 4

Your shawls are very pretty. Someone's going to be thrilled when they are gifted to them. I've had this pattern for it seems like forever since it first came out with Lion brand yarn but never made it. I don't know anyone that wears shawls anymore. It sure is pretty though.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Thanks for posting your shawl photos. I think they’re lovely! About shawls and wearing them in the 21st century: I came across a Peasant Shawl pattern from 50 years ago in my “crochet drawer”. I still have the first shawl I made back then and - don’t know why - I recently unearthed it from storage, put it on & fell in love all over again. So I’m busy now researching how many yards of crochet thread I need. The 50-year-old handwritten pattern I have only says “22 balls” of crochet thread. I’m unsure if the current “ball” of Aunt Lydia’s #10 crochet thread have the same yardage as 50 years ago.  BUT my point? Shawls might just be - what’s the word for it? - always in fashion! I love mine & I hope to make and gift a new one to a dear friend - soon. 

Hi Peasant!  Do you think it was made in #10 thread?  What hook size does it call for - that would be a big clue.  Since you have the shawl handy, do you also happen to have some #10 thread in a corner somewhere to compare it with?  I'll bet your pattern called for size 20 or 30 thread, which looking at my stash of old thread of that size were 200-250 yards per ball, and obviously in a smaller scale, so you'd need more balls.

I'm a thready; I mostly make doilies (they're pretty, thread is cheap...).  Here is a site that gives an opinion (in the US hook and mercerized thread scheme) of of what crochet thread works with what size hook, which I agree with.

I buy #10 thread in huge balls, 2730 yards (white and off-white)--I like to make doilies.  400 yards x 22 balls per your pattern is 8800 yards.  One of those big balls I make would make more than enough square footage for a shawl, or probably 2 shawls, if I were to arrange all the doilies I can get out of a ball in a shawl shape.

I'll see if I can find some (newer) shawl patterns in # 10 thread as a rough sanity check of how much #10 thread yardage one might need for a shawl.

I got pulled away, sorry - here are a bunch of different (free) shawl patterns calling for 'thread' - maybe something will catch your eye to make a whole new style, or one may resemble your original one?

This site it more of a 'card catalog' of patterns, sometimes the free ones are in books you'll have to find physical copies of somewhere, they are not necessarily online patterns at yarn company sites or blogs.  Some of them are for purchase, but there is a free version on the designers' blog (which they get a little money for if you go there and click on ads, I guess)

Me again.

I was clicking on some of the patterns from above and this one is basically just a half granny square (you can't get more 1970s than that, can you??) and would work at any gauge.  I forgot to mention, to get the free patterns that are hosted at Ravelry, you do have to join (but it is free).

If you are thinking fine gauge like thread--are you in the US?  Michaels has an inexpensive brand of sock weight acrylic yarn, 'Woollike'.  

Edited to add - Peasant, you tagged onto someone else's thread about a specific pattern, "South Bay Shawlette".  This pattern takes sock weight yarn, and is free.  

Edited by Granny Square

16 hours ago, Granny Square said:

I got pulled away, sorry - here are a bunch of different (free) shawl patterns calling for 'thread' - maybe something will catch your eye to make a whole new style, or one may resemble your original one?

This site it more of a 'card catalog' of patterns, sometimes the free ones are in books you'll have to find physical copies of somewhere, they are not necessarily online patterns at yarn company sites or blogs.  Some of them are for purchase, but there is a free version on the designers' blog (which they get a little money for if you go there and click on ads, I guess)