Beginner crocheter here with a doubt

Mistymoonlake

Question

Hi, I'm a relatively new crocheter, but I've been trying my hand at amigurumi, so i bought a penguin crochet pattern. I'm almost done with it, since most of it was crocheting in the round, but the feet/flippers are crocheted flat ( i think?) and i cant understand how to go on about it. The whole pattern uses magic ring except this bit. It says 

Ch 7 

Rnd 1~ sc in the 2nd ch from the hook and in the next 4 sts increase with 3sc in the last st, turn your work and work on the opposite side of the foundation ch. Sc in the next 4 sts, inc in the last st (14 sc) 

It's supposed to make a sort of rectangular stuffable foot ( after a few rows of crocheting ofc) but i can't understand it at all. 

Please help me! 

Edit: Thank you all so much! I'm trying it now :D

Edit: Thank you all once again! I managed to do it and it turned out great!  I wouldn't have been able to do this without your help ❤️

Edited by Mistymoonlake
Appreciation

4 answers to this question

^ exactly what she said; this is a 'weird' maneuver the first time you do it, and we get a lot of questions about ovals so you're not alone.

I'd like to add a hint that might make this a tiny bit easier - some people like to work into the 'back bump' of a foundation chain.  I recommend you not use the back loop for an oval because it pulls the chain tight and will make the second pass more difficult.  For the first pass, with the chain-looking part facing you, do the first 'normal' first half of the oval in the topmost (1) loop.  When you rotate the chain 180° so the remaining 2 loops are facing up not down, work around the 2 remaining loops.

I started with old stuffed animal patterns that worked more in ovals than in the round so in one way this seems "normal" to me.  I do think it would be helpful for designers to mention you are making an oval somewhere as it clues people in to what's coming next.  Working around the complete side of the chain creates a different shape than working in the round and it is more common than people realize in creating shapes.

As Granny said you it is very hard to work in the back bump of the chain and then come around the end of the row to work the other side of the chain.  It is best to work the chain in the traditional manner and then work around the other side of the chain.

My suggestion is if what we are saying isn't helpful look for a video that shows you what it looks like.  I suggest searching because what I find useful may not demonstrate it in a way that helps you see what you aren't seeing/reading from our suggestions.