Lost pattern

LaDawn

Question

I have lost a pattern that I made numerous blankets with. I am hoping that someone will recognize the description. I have finally regained enough use of my hand to start to crochet again and I really want to expend my energy making this blanket that I never kept. It is done in rows with each row tied off and left for fringe and using many stitches and multi colors creates rows of bordered  flowers. Sound familiar?

7 answers to this question

Welcome to the ville!  I'm glad you are able to crochet again.  Part way through your description I was thinking 'Navajo Blanket' which is made same side always facing and each  tied off, but that is a geometric pattern not flowers.  I've seen patterns with rows of flowers (not like graphed colorwork all in SC, but where different stitches form the leaves and flowers), but not with fringe.  I'll take a look and see if I can find anything.

It IS very similar to the Navaho Blanket pattern...same side always. I have no idea where I got the original pattern, I hand copied it when I was young. I adjusted it to fit any size, I'm thinking it was originally a baby blanket....maybe? Thank you so much!

This was one of the ones I was thinking of , Red Heart 'flowers in a row'

This is ingenious, 3D flowers you make in rows as you go.

The other one I was thinking of, cute but 'not it' is Bitty Blossoms.  It looks like it is made in rows 'tapestry style', where you work over the unused color, example in a row of pink flowers you work over the pink with the white background color and bring up the pink when you need it for a flower, then back to white and working over pink again.  I think this might work with your 'Navaho with fringe' concept if you work in the back loop, to keep it from skewing, but not sure if that would have an effect on the tapestry appearance.

This page has some interesting flowers on afghans, some look 'as you go' but not sure on others - I didn't drill down, because every time I go on that site I get lost for hours looking at the pretty things.  I think I linked page 2 of 3 of 'multicolored stitches', there are more on page 3.  

The other patterns I found with flowers were square or hexagon motifs, not in rows.  So none match your description, but maybe one might pique your interest?

Good for you to be able to get back into crochet! These are a few links to afghans that are not turned after each row and fringe is left on:

This older pattern is for a version of Apache Tears Afghan (scroll down).

There's the Narrow Steps Afghan. Unfortunately, it's out of print, but, you might be able to find one of the original books it is in online or at your local library.

ETA: I guess I didn't read thoroughly. These links do not have any flowers on the borders. Sorry.

Edited by ReniC

I am really glad you're crocheting again, and I hope you can find the pattern you're looking for.

I'm not familiar with that one. Karen Rhatto-Whooley's book Fair Isle to Crochet has blanket patterns that sound similar, with multiple colors and ends tied for fringe -- but I don't think any of those patterns have flowered borders. If I come across a pattern like that in my pattern stash, I'll definitely report back. It sounds like maybe it's a vintage pattern, correct? Could you give an estimate of when you think it was published -- which decade? 

On 7/9/2021 at 5:42 PM, Jennie G. said:

Could it be one of the My Picot designs?  Here's the rosebud one.  Not sure if it's done side to side with fringe, but I don't see why it couldn't be done that way.   https://mypicot.com/1033.html

That is a very nice blanket! :)

Krys