Annas 1st haloween costume, ruined, please help me fix it...

shelain22

Question

Well, I worked really hard on Annas haloween costume and I really ment alot to me that I could make her first haloween costume. This is also the first think that I had to basically do without a pattern, the one I liked wa sfor a premie and wasent a whole lot of help. I put it into the washer, on gentle, did'nt dry it but for a few minuites, and this is what happened....

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b255/shelain22/01010003.jpg

DH fineally came downstairs to see what I was crying about, I just have to get this thing back togeather, I had visions abut Anna's little one wearing it one day. here's some closer pics of what is going on. I have no idea how it happened as it is crocheted all in one piece, I know that I had to frog the start of the orange part like 10 times before I got it the right size, maby that has something to do with it..

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b255/shelain22/01010004.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b255/shelain22/01010007.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b255/shelain22/01010005.jpg

I am afraid to touch it, afraid it will fall apart, please help me fix it.....

7 answers to this question

OMG, no wonder you are so upset, my goodness. :worried

By the look of it all of the stitches are still in place, the worst part is to not drop any of them.

If you have a long circular knitting needle you could probably thread the stitches onto it so you don't lose any as you hold it or pick it up, from there try to re-attach the 2 pieces. I think you could either hook it back together or sew it back together. All the best to you and please let us know how it turns out :hug

I am by no means an expert at fixing anything like that, but it looks like if you undo the row of white (if possible), you could then recrochet it to fix the loops. Then I would actually sew the two pieces back together after being sure that the orange is fastened off. It is really hard to know what happened (at least for me) when I can't look at it closely and hold it in my hands to examine it. Maybe someone else will have another suggestion.

I do understand your grief though. There is nothing more frustrating and sad than having something that you put your heart and soul into, being destroyed or "injured" like that.

buy 2 boye knit mate 24 + inch flex shafts to hold the loose loops together and sew the pieces together with some leftover white yarn ( stitch the front and back loops separate) then weave in the ends making sure they cover in to at least 3 rows with several turns.

Be very calm and know that you *will* get this repaired. It will be okay.

Worst case scenario: You have to frog back the affected rows and re-crochet them. It *is* a pain but it's also do-able... So, even in the *worst* case you will still end up with an *intact* cherished heirloom.

Good Luck, that's really so cute.

To me it looks like its come undone where you joined the white to the orange. I'd pull pack a row of each colour and redo it- then join the white to the orange with whichever seaming technique you prefer. I'd think that if you just tried to join the rows back together without redoing the top one of each colour they will look loose.

I know how you must feel- a baby blanket I made for my youngest chilld got caught in the washer and was a mess when it came out,but remember you can fix it and you'll have a cute keepsake :)

Reviewing your pictures, what I suspect may have happened is that when you joined the two colors, you may not have secured the joining end tightly enough and it came loose in the wash and began to frog itself. :eek

Honey, I feel for you! But I think there have been some excellent suggestions made that might help you get it back together. That really is a cute little costume and well worth the effort. Worst case scenario would be to remove the sleeves somehow and redo the white part, working it into the loops of the skirt, perhaps with slip stitches (definitely get something to hold those loops though). But you can probably not take it to that extreme, just redo a round or two of the white and slip stitch it back to the skirt (or sew, which might work better for you) - and secure those ends firmly!

While not quite as devastating as your mishap, I had a similar thing happen to me with the FCEC shrug I made. Everything I used was supposed to be machine washable and dryable, but when I pulled it out of the dryer, I found that the special button it had taken me nearly two weeks to find for it had cracked in half! :eek:eek:eek At first, I couldn't even find the broken off piece, but I finally located it hiding in another article of clothing, and I was able to successfully glue the pieces back together so well, you can't even see where it cracked! :whew

Please do let us know the outcome of this, okay? I'm expecting to see an updated picture of Anna's dress showing it good as new! You can do it! :cheer

:think Was there a long thread hanging off one of the pieces?

Maybe what has happened is, you did not completely finish off one colour before starting the next and when you have washed the wee dress, the thread has pulled undone and left it in two pieces.

It is very hard to pick up and graft crochet together. It is not like knitting where you have a chance of doing that.

You will notice that the top of the orange stitches (actually the bottom of the DC) is not one loop but is 2 or 3 so that makes it hard to attach it back to the other bit.

You could spend hours trying only to find that it is not working. You do really need to undo the skirt part and do it again but make sure you finish off each colour.

Hope you can solve the mystery.

Colleen

Archived