Christmas trees

allieesue

As Children we use to go cut down our Christmas tree that grew in the woods. Which I miss very much. Then there came the artificial tree; which we didn't like. First of all it didn't fill our home smell of pine that was what made our Christmas so special and then there was the excitement of finding that one special tree and cutting it down as a family. When Christmas was over we cut the tree up and burned it in the fireplace. That first artificial tree took all the enjoyment out of  us getting ready for Christmas. Since I have been grown and have son of my own I tried to get that Christmas excitement back but can't seem to be able to. we even went a bought a live tree but it still didn't have that excitement of cutting down the tree and carrying it out of the woods to home and decorating it. Now I have Great grand children and the past few years no tree or decoration at all. My oldest great granddaughter asked me to put up a tree this year. so I thought I would crotchet a tree. If I can find some instruction on how I know I can enlarge it a bit instead of a 12 inch tree I would like to make her a 36 inch one maybe a 48 inch tree.  

Welcome to the 'Ville. Your inquiry would probably receive more responses if it was posted in the Seeking Patterns category. In the meantime, this pattern could certainly be made taller and so could this oneYou would need to keep adding row after row to your desired height. You probably would need to insert some kind of base like a tall Styrofoam cone or a wire frame to keep it from collapsing. Hope this helps in your search and you have a wonderful holiday season.

5 hours ago, ReniC said:

You probably would need to insert some kind of base like a tall Styrofoam cone or a wire frame to keep it from collapsing

Reni you are right the biggest problem with tall tree like that it would be to come up with something ( some kind a support structure) that will hold that up. I do not think they making  Styrofoam cones that tall, I could be wrong. Right now I can not think of anything else... but a wire Tomato Cage LOL . 

I never seen crochet Christmas Tree that tall (36", 48")

Krys

17 hours ago, USpolishgirl said:

Reni you are right the biggest problem with tall tree like that it would be to come up with something ( some kind a support structure) that will hold that up. I do not think they making  Styrofoam cones that tall, I could be wrong. Right now I can not think of anything else... but a wire Tomato Cage LOL . 

I never seen crochet Christmas Tree that tall (36", 48")

Krys

Tomato cages would work very well as long as it's the correct shape (like a cone). I saw 3 and 4 foot crochet trees at our annual Cancer Craft Fair one year. It took the gal 2 months to make just one and she said never again. She sold one for $300. 

WOW! 300 Bucks for 2 months of and cost of yarn?. She would made more money baby sitting for about week or two and that would been easier job than crocheting that big tree.

I am always trying to stay away from crocheting those BIG items. Because it goes on "forever..." and that is not fun anymore! :(.

Krys

11 minutes ago, USpolishgirl said:

WOW! 300 Bucks for 2 months of and cost of yarn?. She would made more money baby sitting for about week or two and that would been easier job than crocheting that big tree.

I am always trying to stay away from crocheting those BIG items. Because it goes on "forever..." and that is not fun anymore! :(.

Krys

That was 20+ years ago, so, not too bad for the price paid.

If she were doing it for her own income, I agree, but was for charity - she spent maybe $30 +/- on yarn and the charity made $300, so her donation of effort well spent to help the charity. 

Back to the OP's tree...I know it's not the same, but what about a new tradition that isn't the tree itself, but of crocheting ornaments to decorate it, one for each great/grand/kid (and maybe a few new ones each year, to add to the collection)?  And buying a wreath at the tree-lot to hang inside somewhere for the real pine smell?  Storing an artificial tree that comes apart and stores in a smaller box is bad enough, but I can't imagine making and storing a full size 3-D tree for the rest of the year.  Making ornaments each year would be more (my idea of) fun (for you and the kids), and a tradition the kids would have fun with (finding 'theirs' on the tree)...just a thought.

Edited by Granny Square

Even 20 years ago that was not much per week or hour for her work.. Well, she said she would not make that again! LOL

Sometimes people take up those big projects with out realizing how much work will need to go there.. Usually those projects are left unfinished (for later...) for ever!.

Krys

Welcome  to Crochetville from the Gulf Coast of Florida.

Grab your yarn and hooks, put your feet up and sit a spell.

We are always so glad to meet new friends.😁

You can always get a Styrofoam tree form to help with the  shape.   I have seen them in all sizes.