Boarder

mdkb904

Question

17 answers to this question

Funny, I just replied to another 'border' question, and I'm going to say the same thing:  Less is more--I would leave it as it is, it looks very nice and complete right now, AND borders on stripes is a bad idea, because when you stitch into the sides of stitches it will not look the same (not as even) as when you stitch into the tops of stitches (or into the under-chains).  (In other  words, if you stitched around in the light purple, the stitches into the dark purple are going to look messy on the sides.)  Since this is a very plain geometric pattern, I'd pick a very plain border to compliment it.

If I HAD to add a border to this, I'd make the first row an unusual way:   I'd first do a round in the same colors as the blanket, so a dark purple stitch goes into a dark purple stitch, light purple into light purple.  (I would do this using the Tapestry method, where you work OVER the unused color, so no end weaving except at the end).  Actually, just this one round done this way would give it a nice finished look all the way around, there's nothing wrong with having a striped blanket with stripes all the way to the sides.

Or, because this is a very plain striped blanket, I'd go around in one of the colors after the one I described above, for about the width of 1 of the stripes.  Make sure you make 3 stitches into each corner to keep it flat, for SC I like to make SC, Ch1, SC, it turns the corners more squarely, plus it's easy to see the chain where you'd want to make the next corner into.

Tapestrycrochet.com is a good site if you have never done tapestry before, really it's just changing to the new color as one normally would (in the last yarn over of the last stitch of the old color), and working over the old color.

The second photo looks great to me, it's elegant as is without a border.  

Probably the most iconic striped manufactured blankets don't have borders, google 'Pendleton striped blanket'.  

It's up to you, just be careful working up the sides as that is the part that will be most likely keep it from looking as nice as it looks now.

• Like 2

Hi Brenda- Very nice looking blanket. And I like your simplicity to the border. It really frames the blanket nicely.

I still have a blanket to finish with the Crystal Wave stitch. It's just way too hot here so, I'm working on a "Crochet Care Package" for my great grands. They're just small projects.

Bgs, you know I love ya.  And at a quick glance I agree the blue border looks great, and if I did the same stitching along the sides, mine would look exactly the same as yours, so I'm not commenting your technique because that's just 'what happens' when you stitch into the sides of stitches in a different color. 

My point above was that working into the sides of stitches in a different color, without the mitigation of changing the sides of the stripes into stitch tops of the border color first, looks jagged compared to when you work into the tops of stitches like the nice straight transition at the top and bottom of your blanket.

I concede I may be more persnickety that most people tho...

35 minutes ago, Granny Square said:

Bgs, you know I love ya.  And at a quick glance I agree the blue border looks great, and if I did the same stitching along the sides, mine would look exactly the same as yours, so I'm not commenting your technique because that's just 'what happens' when you stitch into the sides of stitches in a different color. 

My point above was that working into the sides of stitches in a different color, without the mitigation of changing the sides of the stripes into stitch tops of the border color first, looks jagged compared to when you work into the tops of stitches like the nice straight transition at the top and bottom of your blanket.

I concede I may be more persnickety that most people tho...

I wanted her to see what you were talking about.  I hate working into sides because its such a booger getting the stitches spaced just right and as you pointed out because of the stitches showing when you are not working into the same color.  Cant tell you how many I have pulled out or reworked because I was not happy with those stitches. This one I was happier with it than I was without it.

On 7/12/2020 at 5:16 PM, Granny Square said:

Ah, gotcha, thanks.  I actually was about to make a swatch to show what I meant.  

This is what I was thinking about I am adding a picture of the boarder granny square 

57BE95ED-926C-4743-8613-2D800CF39312.jpeg

I am not seeing anything really wrong with your piece.  There's a TINY wavering in a couple of spots at the sides, but nothing you couldn't pat-block out out with your fingers.  It looks like it is flat to me, except 2 TINY little vertical waves at the top and bottom, which also look like they'd pat-block out--I wouldn't call that puckering.  And if you'd only asked "so, how does this look?"  I'd have given you a thumbs up, I only mentioned those, again,  TINY little things because you were questioning if there appeared to be a problem.  The worst issue is those tails that need weaving or trimming :lol   (BTW pat block = get it wet, pat it into place, let it dry)

Are your stitch counts the same all the way up?  I'm not saying they look like they are not, and I'm not seeing an obvious 'drift' after blowing up the photo a little; I was just double checking.  If you haven't gained or added stitches along the way, I think you're OK.  Sometimes our stitch gauge can waver a little as we go, if we put it down for a day, or crochet while switching from a sitcom to a zombie insurrection on TV, whatever.

What is this going to be?  It looks like it might be 1 side of a sweater, size-wise (guessing by the width of the floorboards, and what looks like the tip of your shoe) so assuming the stitch count is where it should be, seaming it to the other side should fix things.

Oh, duh...of course, after looking at the other granny-ish ones I forgot where we started.  :blush   

You know something that just popped into my head looking at the other 2 granny square/granny stitch pics in this thread...a 'granny stitch' border in one of your blanket colors or alternating color rounds would be interesting, would go with the geometric theme of your stripes and should interrupt/distract from the 'other color' connection points (a little bit) on the side edges.