Substitute DK for heavier yarn in this sweater?

minnie_aus

Question

I've been doing a cardigan (sweater) that the pattern is for 12ply (worsted) wool and I'm using 8ply (DK).

I thought I'd go from the plan that's with the pattern and sizes, but I've messed up. 

I'm using the size hook 6mm that's in the pattern, but have tried the larger hook, and I don't like the look or feel at the loose big hook.

I've also looked for another pattern using DK that I like but I just really like this one!

Here's the pattern https://www.yarnspirations.com/row-en/patons-slouchy-crochet-cardigan/PAC0129-002593M.html?cgid=crochet-patterns-women-sweaters-cardigans#start=9

I've figured out I really need the pattern to follow. 

Now my question before starting again - can I just make a size larger with the smaller hook for it to work, rather than changing the hook size?

I'm going nuts over this, and so sick of doing and undoing and doing and undoing swatches, I was trying for this winter. 

Hoping some of you can advise me. 

Cheers, Vicki 

8 answers to this question

So you want to use a dk yarn instead of bulky, correct?  Using the pattern to upsize (to your fit) ie work a Large for small....just guesstimating, you would go up sizes and do a trial run.  Is there a diagram w measurements in the pattern?  Use that after working the pattern to see if you are on track w the size u picked.  If the pattern is simple, straightforward and you understand garment construction you could just customize to your size.  Using a 6mm won't work.  Use the hook that works the texture best.  If you remain frustrated then you need to start w a pattern for dk yarn.

Features:
  • Content: 60% Acrylic 22% Wool 10% Nylon 8% Alpaca
  • Ball Size: 100g/3.5oz, 142 m/155 yds
  • Care: Hand wash, lay flat to dry
  • Gauge: 5 Bulky
  • Knitting Gauge: 15 sts and 20 r with a 6 mm knitting needle
  • Crochet Gauge: 11 sc and12 r with a 6 mm crochet hook
  • Use for: Knit and crochet garments, accessories, and home decor projects
Recommended Knitting Needle:
6 mm
Recommended Crochet Hook:
6 mm

Edited by NCcountrygal
corrections

9 hours ago, minnie_aus said:

I'm happy with the texture using the 6mm hook, so I'll give it another go as you suggest and did find another cardigan on the pay patterns, so will get that as well. 

Not sure you understood what I meant.  The pattern calls for a 6mm hook w the chunky yarn that the pattern was gauged by to get the right size.  I have made simple cardigans just using a tape measure, no gauge swatch, different size yarn, etc.  I don't know your skill level or comfort level to just go for it. 

https://makeanddocrew.com/up-north-crochet-cardigan-pattern-for-beginners/
Gauge:
13 hdc x 10 rows = 4”  (DK yarn she used)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLoSQifTCDY&feature=youtu.be

Addl info that may help:

https://www.craftyarncouncil.com/standards/yarn-weight-system
https://www.craftyarncouncil.com/standards/hooks-and-needles
https://www.craftyarncouncil.com/standards/schematics
https://www.craftyarncouncil.com/standards/body-sizing

Edited by NCcountrygal

I've managed to sub DK for worsted weight on a wearable and gotten it to work (worsted is not bulky weight, it's US #4 and DK is US#3 weight)  Yarn weights are a range,  measured by wraps per inch; worsted is 9-11 WPI, DK is 12 to 14.  So if the designer used a 11 WPI worsted weight, and you or I sub a 12 WPI DK weight, there's not that much difference.  

That said -- my recommendation is to save the DK for another project (DK weight would be great for a pullover).  Reason:  this is a bulky LOOKING sweater.  You like the LOOK of the pattern photo, It's going to look different in DK.  Also, this pattern uses a very large hook even for worsted weight, and you are wanting to use a smaller hook and a smaller yarn.  Yes, you CAN make a larger size, but you are likely going to need to buy more DK yarn, because even if you figure out the width to fit, you are going to need to make a lot more rows to get the length (been there done that on a shawl that called for sport and I used fingering, used the pattern's suggested hook size but wasn't getting the same gauge the the thinner yarn and was rather shocked to find I needed close 3 TIMES the yardage called for.  Also, the smaller gauge/more repeats did not look quite as nice IMO).

If you still want to use the DK, look at the pattern and figure out how many stitches there are at a critical point (bustline for sweaters usually, but for your pattern I'd just go by the bottom edge), measure my gauge to that stitch number to see how 'off' I am, and then do the math for a bigger or smaller size, and follow THAT size's instructions.  You've already got a gauge swatch with a fabric 'look' that you like in DK. Count the # of stitches that YOU have in 4" (the bigger the swatch, the more accurate).  The pattern gauge is 11 stitches to 4"; 4 divided by 11 = .364" per stitch.  

Let's say the fit for you would be the smallest size (according to the pattern gauge and measurments.  The sweater's back stitch count is 57 stitches, the front is 29 stitches, so 57+29+29 (there are 2 fronts) is 115 stitches.  The measurement at the bottom edges is 20.75+10.5+10.5=41.75".  (this is extra small, to fit 28-34" bust -- wow, that's a lot of positive ease)

I'm going to make up a number for your gauge swatch, and say that you got 20 stitches per inch instead of 11, so each of your stitches is 4" divided by 20=0.2" per stitch--remember the pattern gauge is .364" per stitch.  So, at your made-up gauge, times 115 stitches if you followed the smallest size, would be 115 stitches times 0.2" = only 23".

So, I don't know your measurements or your gauge, but I've given you the math process:  with your ideal gauge swatch, figure out the width of 1 stitch (measure fractions, example if you had 20.5 stitches in 4", use that instead of 20).  Then look at the total number of stitches across the bottom (back and 2 fronts) for the sizes and multiply that buy the measurement of your stitch width and come up with the best size to fit you, and follow that size.

Edited by Granny Square

Just realized I totally overlooked that NCcountrygal posted the yarn specs and I went with what the OP said (that it was worsted weight) but it is NOT, it is indeed bulky (US category 5 bulky, not category 4 worsted).  I really would not recommend trying to make DK weight work, that's too much of a stretch unless you held the DK yarn doubled perhaps.  

What I said earlier applies if you aren't getting gauge but are 'sort of close', but I don't think the outcome would be satisfactory in in this case.

Edited by Granny Square