Lincraft Harriet The Hippo

Pezking

Question

7 answers to this question

I think at the bottom of the left column it should have left out the chain 1, and just said to make an adjustable ring.  Then proceed to  round 1 (which assumes the adj ring has been made) at the top of the right column.  You only need 1 chain before the 6 (UK) DCs.

An adjustable ring is also called a Magic Ring. There are several other tutorials on the web.

After the ch 1 in the loop, 6 dc into the loop, pull the tail to close and tighten, sl-st to the top of the 1st dc to join.

ETA: Ha! Granny Square; We came in close again. I agree about the ch 1. I usually make a ch 2, then would add the rest of the (US) dc.

Thanks for the responses - sorry am new to this. So please just to clarify as a lot of the adjustable ring tutorials seem to vary and confuse  - is there a number of chains you make in the ring itself or is the ring just a standard stitch ?

hope that makes sense! 

After you make your adjustable ring you might be told to chain varying amounts depending on which stitches you are placing in the ring eg:  ch1 if you are putting US single crochets into the ring, ch 2 if its US half double and ch 3 for US double crochet.  You make the number of whatever stitches your pattern specifies into the ring.  The ring is basically its own stand alone thing and can be substituted in patterns where it says chain x amount and join to form ring.

The ring has NO chains.  The adjustable ring is really useful for something you want to be solid so the stuffing doesn't come thru, and the ring lets you tighten the center more than a chain center.

When I first read about adjustable rings, I found the instructions confusing until I realized - it's just a slip knot!  And we all know how to put a slip knot on our hook already, right?

Make a slip knot but leave it generously open - up to 1".  Assuming you are right handed, make sure the tail is going off to the left.  Stick your hook into the big open loop, pull up a loop on the hook, yarn over and pull thru - slip stitch made around the loop and the tail (don't worry - the first chain stitch is the most disorienting/hardest part).  Continuing to work over the loop & tail, make the number of stitches the pattern said.  Pull the tail to tighten it up - from now on follow the pattern.

At the end, snug up the tail and weave it in extra thoroughly, don't just weave under a couple of stitches and call it good since there's nothing much holding it together.  I've heard people complain about these loops coming undone, I never have but I'm a zealous end weaver.

Archived