Sewing in ends

Greycon

Question

Ok, lazy question.  Do you sew your ends in or knot them off for a generic blanket.  I know sewing them in is prefered for sensitivity reasons.  But what about out when that is not an issue.  Love crochet, but I hate sewing in ends, and I have at least 60 more to go on this afghan.

4 answers to this question

This is how I work in ends.

https://crystalsandcrochet.com/crochet/securing-ends/

I have seen the results of a much loved and used afghan that someone's grandma who is long gone made where the ends were knotted and clipped.  It came apart in many many places.  In order to fix it I had to reknot  and sew the ends down with sewing thread. While I was at it I also secured the others.  That was far more tedious.  I  inherited granny squares from my aunt that she and my mom (passed 20 years earlier) had made where they knotted and clipped.  Many of these were coming undone and they had just been stored in totes.  There were 40+ squares in each of 4 boxes(one for me and my three sisters) 4 colors per square plus joins from running out of yarn and starting a new skein----lots of ends.  I had to find each join and sew all those ends down with sewing thread before assembling them.  

Agree with Bgs 100%.   A smart lazy person weaves in ends thoroughly the first time so they're not stuck with more work darning holes every few washes.  Or worse, having all your hard work go to waste if it's a gift, and the recipient just pitches it when it falls apart.

One thing the blog doesn't mention, unless I skimmed too fast -- If I find a knot in the skein, I cut it out and usually do a braided join, and weave the little remaining tails like a Russian Join (lots of youtube tutorials for both).  Also do this when joining new skeins.  

Thank you!  I went ahead and wove them in.  I know better than know, but was getting impatient and lazy at the end I guess.  Good to know about the knots in skein.  I have been clipping them, leaving a tail and weaving them in.

Tails and weaving in....Ugh! Who doesn't hate them when there are a thousand (it seems like that many sometimes)?

But, I weave them all in also, like a square. I knew a gal that knotted tails then wove the tails in after. Mostly because of a bad experience with knots coming undone after washing. Some weave as they go, but, that hasn't worked for me when I've had to frog a few projects due to errors or disliking the project. There's really not a wrong way to do this as I'm sure there are a few more techniques out there.

Archived