Afghan Pattern Idea

CatsCradleCreations

Question

I have an idea for an afghan floating around, but I'd like to have opinions before venturing out and trying to write the pattern.

Would anyone be interested in an afghan made of 50 squares, where each square was a different color scheme and each held a quarter?

If so, please PM me with any ideas on how to keep the quarter in the square! This is the part I'm stuck on right now....

9 answers to this question

If you're thinking of making the afghan for the 50 states collectors quarters, that's a FANTASTIC idea!!! I would love something like that!!! Hmmm, I'm not sure about holding the quarter in either. I know it would take tools, but maybe drilling a hole in each quarter that the yarn could maybe go through...

If you get this one running I'D LVE TO TRY IT! Great idea!!!!

What if you made two Circles of Hope-type patterns (granny's daughter), but with center circles just large enough to show the quarter but not allow it to fall out. Then, crochet them together with the quarter inside, and work your square around it. I think that would work, and no drilling/ruining needed.

Celeste, that's kind of what I was thinking, but I was also concerned about cold metal on the side of the afghan that would be on the person using it. So, this is what I came up with:

One Circle of Hope with a back to hold the quarter, only showing the state (tails) side of the quarter on the front of the afghan.

The squares themselves would be the color scheme of the state the quarter is from....in alphabetical order to make things a little easier (I'm not a history buff so I don't know the dates they all entered the Union).

I'm going to have to do some research on the state colors, then I can start writing the square pattern!

Thanks for your input ladies!! :manyheart

That is an afghan that if you design I will have to make, My DH has been collectiing those quarters and that would make such a perfect gift for a very hard person for me to buy/ make things for. So go for it.

Perhaps you can "borrow" what this crocheter used to keep a quarter in a key chain? I bookmarked this recently as a possible stocking stuffer for my daughter

I've got that one bookmarked as well; I'm thinking of contacting her with my idea and see if she'd be opposed to it.

I'm not one to "borrow" other people's designs and call them my own. I know how much work goes into writing a pattern and wouldn't want someone "borrowing" my designs.

http://irenecrafts.com/state_quarter_key_chain.htm

Perhaps you can "borrow" what this crocheter used to keep a quarter in a key chain? I bookmarked this recently as a possible stocking stuffer for my daughter

Of course you would give credit where it is due. I meant more that you could use it as a starting point.

I think it is a very clever idea and you should go for it. People are always looking for something new and unique and I think this fits both.

Archived