Help identifying stitch

Aranzxx

Question

My grandmother's aunt made this for her a long time ago. I want to make one for my mom but I'm not sure what these stitches are. The pattern looks complicated but I love it! I really just need the names of the stitches and I can easily look them up, but if someone wants to try to explain them to me I would greatly appreciate it! Thank you!

IMG_4807.JPG

IMG_4808.JPG

IMG_4809.JPG

IMG_4810.JPG

12 answers to this question

Hi, welcome to the Ville!  Stitch names are not standardized, so it's not always easy to look them up by name and find the right thing.

since this is older and has been used, the stitches stretch over time and something new won't look the same even though it's the same stitch pattern.

top photo looks like single crochet, just stretched with age.

second photo is a mesh that's made by chain three or four, sc..  next row you sc in the chain loop, ch three or four, sc in the loop.....

Third and fourth are a long loop of chains, but it looks like the loop is crossed and intertwined with itself and I'm not sure how that would be done, it's very interesting!  

Welcome to Crochetville from me, too!

I have a guess for the 3rd pic.  When you're on the last row of the chain 3, 4, or 5, then sc that Magic described, ch 2, then keep chaining.  To make the loop, slip stitch into the 3rd chain that you made. Ch 2 more, sc in the next chain loop.  Repeat across.  It's like making a giant picot stitch.  On the row, start the chain 3, 4 or 5, then sc again.  Do the sc stitches in every other long chain loop, crossing each one the same way across.

16 minutes ago, redrosesdz said:

Welcome to Crochetville from me, too!

I have a guess for the 3rd pic.  When you're on the last row of the chain 3, 4, or 5, then sc that Magic described, ch 2, then keep chaining.  To make the loop, slip stitch into the 3rd chain that you made. Ch 2 more, sc in the next chain loop.  Repeat across.  It's like making a giant picot stitch.  On the row, start the chain 3, 4 or 5, then sc again.  Do the sc stitches in every other long chain loop, crossing each one the same way across.

That would work to join the two sides of the long loop, but does it look to you like they cross each other there?  Hard to tell for sure in a photo, but I think they look crossed, or sort of woven together....I'm not describing what I mean very well, sorry....like each loop goes through itself at that point.  

I see the long loops started at the bottom, crossed, but not attached in the middle, then an sc in the top of each long loop.  Magic, do you see something differently?  Pics can look differently to different people and I may not be seeing it right. I know what you mean about the crossing, though.  It's really hard to tell.

Chiming in - I think the first pic might be of stitches made between (not into) stitches in the row below--but the stitches look too tall for SC, I was thinking DC (but not quite?), maybe HDC by someone who makes taller looser stitches than I do.  There is another stitch, which name is not coming to me right now, that's a sort of '2 steps forward, 1 step back' (because the bottom almost looks split) but I need to do some research to see if that's a possibility.

The loopy, scalloped fabric looks like chain 5, sc.

On the long, crossed chains, I think it's just a long chain, then fold the chain in half and slip stitch into the third chain from the beginning, chain 2 to complete the chain-5 scallop at the base.  The twist comes in the next row - I can't quite tell how you  get 'up' to the next row  but the only thing I can think of is slip stitch back tracking and slip stitching halfway up the penultimate long chain, chain 5, sc around the first long chain, and so on - so the twisting happens by the order you grab the long chains to SC around.

Found the stitch I couldn't think of - paired stitch, specifically paired HDC.  Not sure if this is it, tho.  Not paired single either.  Paired doubles just look like doubles.

Edit - RR, you caught me mid-post.  I thought of that, but I was squinting at the end chain and thought I saw something going on there.  Plus, that's the way I'd probably do it because I hate ends, LOL.

Sharon, on some of the long loops, it looks to me like at the lowest crossing or joining point (3 or 4 ch up from the beginning of the long loop) that one side goes through the other instead of just being joined to it.  Like maybe that is something you could do by dropping the loop off hook, like we were talking about in the other thread today.  But I don't know, so hard to tell in a photo :tired

Great point, Kathy! That could be how the long loops are joined. Between the color, the age of the afghan and that it's a 2D pic, it's really hard to say for sure.

To Aranzxx: you've got some great ideas on how it's constructed. Hopefully counting stitches along with the suggestions is enough to get you going. If not, you can try to find a local expert. See if there's a crochet or yarn group or crochet classes near you. Ask at yarn stores, churches, senior centers, libraries, coffee shops, meetup.com or retirement homes. You can also check Crochet Guild of America to see if there's a local chapter, assuming you're in the US. Other countries may have a similar guild. Good luck! Let us know how you make out & if can be of any more help.

Girls, I just got the biggest kick out of reading all your comments!!! :)  Even though I've never heard your voices--I could "hear" the conversation going on in my mind!  I LOVE it!  Aranzzx--I hope you can make some sense out of all that chatter!  Man!  I LOVE this place!!!:ghug

58 minutes ago, Avon Lady said:

Girls, I just got the biggest kick out of reading all your comments!!! :)  Even though I've never heard your voices--I could "hear" the conversation going on in my mind!  I LOVE it!  Aranzzx--I hope you can make some sense out of all that chatter!  Man!  I LOVE this place!!!:ghug

:lol :lol    definitely one of the few places in the world where such a conversation could occur!  

Archived