Looking for an Afghan Crochet hook, size N, O, P in 15-20 inches length

LoveHana

Hi everyone, I just joined this forum hoping to help my mother in law find what she is looking for.  When I met her last Christmas, she told me that she was looking for an Afghan crochet hook in size N, O or P with the length of 15 inches minimum (20 inches is better).

I looked everywhere that I can think of and finally found a person on Etsy that makes it in 13 inches long, and he told me that's the longest he can go.  So my question is, has anyone seen such a super long Afghan crochet hook?

My mother-in-law's 83rd birthday party is coming up in March, and I wanted to surprise her with the hook she wanted.  Any help or suggestion as to where to go look would be wonderful.  Thank you!

Welcome to Crochetville!

I assume that she wants a long one to do Tunisian crochet.  An "afghan crochet hook" is also called a Tunisian crochet hook.  Don't get her a standard crochet hook, because it won'[t work for what she wants to do.  You can get a large hook with a flexible cord.  That way it would be long enough for any project.  I'd ask her if it's okay first.

This is one in size N:

https://www.amazon.com/ChiaoGoo-32-Inch-Flexible-Tunisian-Hooks/dp/B003VWMO4O

The same brand has the other sizes, too.  It's not a brand I'm familiar with, but it looks good and has positive reviews.

Thank you for your advice, redrosesdz!   She's actually looking for a straight hook, not the one with the flexible cord, because she held up her standard hook and showed it to me what it looks like.  It's the straight one (bamboo or metal) with a ball at one end.  I should've mentioned that when I asked my question.  But thank you anyway!!

I understand the preference, I'm not a huge fan of the cords, but in looking I found 13-14 inch straight Tunisian is about as long as you find before they switch to the corded.  I did find some at 13" in length for those sizes but nothing longer, except for smaller hook sizes.

I found one that is 22" long!  Personally, I prefer the corded, because when a hook is too long, it's difficult to work with it.

They make all the sizes you want, but are VERY expensive:

http://www.bagsmith.com/products/Size-N-Tunisian-Crochet-Hook.html

ETA: I'd get the one from Amazon and one straight one, both in the same size.  Have her try both of them and return the one she doesn't like.  Then you can get the other sizes in the brand she likes best.

Edited by redrosesdz

Thanks everyone for all the information!  I'm so glad I joined.  I never wondered why she didn't want the corded one, but now you all made me curious.  I'll ask her when I meet her next month.

And thank you redrosesdz for finding that 22 inch one!  It is pricey, but because it's her 83rd birthday and she loves to knit, I was going to pay whatever that is necessary to get the hook she wanted.  Woohooo!!

• 3 years later...

If your MIL appreciates vintage, a search on eBay might uncover one like she wants.  I got one that is 4 pieces that screws together and is nearly 4 feet long.