colour choice?

darski

Question

In honour of Canada's sesquicentennial I am doing the Carousel afghan in red and white only.

B..u..t... I have a bit of a snag when it comes to joining the red/white bands and then joining them to my centre motif.

I don't really want to use either red or white for joining but then it means I must bring in another colour.  I have been debating which colour might work best...

use gold as in the original pattern - I'm really liking this possibility.

use navy as a nod to our mother country

use black just for the boldness of it.

what would you do?  any other suggestions?

11 answers to this question

When I think of Canadian colors, I only think of red and white.  I'd choose either one (probably white) and use it for all of the joins.  If you add navy, I think of the US or the UK.

I'm afraid that choosing either would love the general effect of the red/white mixture.  it would favour one over the other.

I am tempted to go with the navy and then I could use a lighter blue to mimic the UK flag and remove the possibility of the US look.

Since we did not leave the empire but merely became a free country within it I rather like that tie in.

when they were designing the (now) Cdn flag one of the possibles had the red maple leaf as we now see but with 2 medium blue borders to show that we were "From sea to shining sea".  it was the design I favoured at the time.  I lost the vote :rofl

I'm afraid that choosing either would love the general effect of the red/white mixture.  it would favour one over the other.

I am tempted to go with the navy and then I could use a lighter blue to mimic the UK flag and remove the possibility of the US look.

Since we did not leave the empire but merely became a free country within it I rather like that tie in.

THAT is an excellent idea, Darski!  Go with that!

Being that you've used red and white only, the darker color of navy would make each round of motifs stand out more.

Another possibility; alternate red and white for each round of joining (not around each motif), then, finalize with the outside border of navy or gold.

Maybe, print one of the photos of the completed blanket in a light grey tone only, then, with colored pencils or markers, shade in the borders to determine which is best to your liking.

Whichever color you go with, I'm sure it will be beautiful.

Would alternating red and white seams by rounds be a reasonable solution?  Or switching between the 2 where the effect would be best (maybe red for the rounds, white for the spokes or somesuch?)

because of the way the red and white alternate (if you saw the pic) it would just make a jumble with no apparent reason to it. 

that is why I was looking for another colour in spite of my Red and White plan.

Gotcha.  I was having trouble picturing it in just 2 colors, all the colors in the original were distracting me ;).  

Either the blue for the reason you gave, or gold would look great - sometimes flags come with gold fringe, after all

http://www.houzz.com/photos/24498565/Canada-3X5-Nylon-Flag-with-Pole-Hem-and-Gold-Fringe-traditional-flags-and-flagpoles

Flip a loonie?

Archived