N hook question?

bubblefizz

Does it tell you the actual size on the hook? I've noticed that some brands vary on what a size Q or a size D actually is so I try to go by the MM size instead of the letter as the MM size should be right no matter what...

I have a plastic Red Heart size "N" hook that says it's 10.00mm so I'd say it's a 10.00mm...

Recently (in the last couple years) there has been a shift in hook sizing. They added in a size (don't remember where or which one) and so everything over that went up a MM in size. I think they added the L hook, so M, N, P, Q, and S all went up in size, but am not sure. The 10mm - N hook is the newer size, so your 9mm would actually be an M in most newer patterns. I think that is why most patterns are listing the mm size as well as the hook size too. Also different manufacturers may vary the hook size, G hook is a common one with multiple mm sizes. I think most manufacturers are trying to become more regulated but it of course will be slow to spread through all packaging. Also some stores may have older stock, so rather than try for one of each letter size, I would try for one of each mm size.

thanks smartcat, i normally do buy hooks in mm sizes as here in UK they dont have letters on them, but i use the US abbreveations and patterns, i wanted to follow through with hooks aswell :)

so you would say that my size 9.00 is a 10.00??

i actually have one of 7mm 8mm 9mm and 10mm which i bought online as i could not buy them locally angie :hook

what brand are they sals?

i have an 8, 9, 10 but they are awful to work with plastic bendy horrible hooks ;)

so you would say that my size 9.00 is a 10.00??

No, your 9.00 is not a 10.00, if you have a pattern that calls for an N hook, I would try to get a new N hook that is a 10.00. If you have a pattern that calls for an M 9.00mm, you could use your N 9.00mm. Always go by the mm sizing when you can, if not given, then work the guage square to be sure of your hook size. (Of course we should all work the guage square all the time, but in reality how many of us really do.)

if i remember rightly angie they are inox brand they were hooked in cardboard :hook

oh yea sals i know them ones, i dont have any inox ones myself ;)

what do u think of them?

as i have some hooks but there is no brand name on them and i hate them:(

Hi Angie does your pattern give a gauge, That is what I would check if possible. Before I got too carried away searching for a 10mm hook I would do up a swatch and check the gauge. I know no fun, but can save so much fustration it's worth the small amount of time to do a quick check. Your N hook you have may be just what you need. We all crochet just that little bit differently that make them add the comment to most patterns ( Or size to get gauge.) Then if you find you need a larger hook then you will know what mm you need. and ignore the letters. We are learning to do that even here in the states. Too random in the sizing otherwise.

Archived