Hi i need some help..

Pancakegal

Question

12 answers to this question

welcome to the ville!

I want to suggest that you go to the Town Hall section of the forum and review the site guidelines.  We are not supposed to post photos of book/magazine pages.  It is better to type out the section of the pattern that you need help with.  this is because of the copyright on the pattern.  

In this case, "shape base" is just telling you what you are doing in this round, shaping the base.  it says to work into the inner half of the stitch, and hopefully the pattern explains what is meant by this.  Be sure you have read everything from the very beginning to the end of the pattern.  Also it could be elsewhere in the book, like at the beginning of the chapter, or at the front or back of the book, under a heading like stitch glossary, special stitches, tips, or some such.  what it probably means is into the back loop, but  that is an odd way to word it if so.  

for more specific help, please tell us the name of the pattern and the book title.  someone may have the book to refer to.  

Hi.. sorry. i desperately wanna make this pattern. i remove the attachment. 

does inner half of the stitch means, back loop or front loop?

its from a book title Crochet 20 projects for friends to make.

Basket Tidy pattern.

It sounds like you are working in the round (circular base), and since it says 'creating a ridge on the outside edge', picking up the 'inside' edge of the stitch would be the back loop, leaving the front loop to make the ridge on the outside of the piece.

I think it means back loop but i may be wrong. It may mean back loop plus "back bump" which would be more sturdy.

Did you read all the front and back of the book, and beginning and end of the pattern? It really should explain this somewhere.

Hi.. sorry. i desperately wanna make this pattern. i remove the attachment. 

does inner half of the stitch means, back loop or front loop?

its from a book title Crochet 20 projects for friends to make.

Basket Tidy pattern.

here is the book on amazon https://www.amazon.com/Crochet-20-Projects-Friends-Make/dp/1861087365

in the look inside, i searched "tidy" and was able to see the pattern on pg 50-51.  no explanation that i could see, to explain this non-standard terminology.  

The way I read this is that you need to make a dc in the front loop of the stitch.  This would make the ridge they're talking about.  ???

Whichever stitch-top loop you use, the other, unused loop makes the ridge.  So if you make a stitch in the front loop, the ridge will be in the back...therefore if you are working in the round and not turning, you won't see the ridge.  That's why I suggested that the pattern probably meant back loop, because the unused front loop makes a ridge on the front, and the back loop is closer to the 'inside' of a round piece.

Unless you meant post stitch?  But then it would make many vertical ridges, and that's a vague way to tell you how to do a post stitch.  And if it was a post stitch, 'inside'  sounds more like a back post, where the ridge is also not in the front...

Hmmm...

The book this pattern is in is published in England (authors are in Brighton) so the terminology is just a little different than American when it comes to crochet. That being said, they are probably referring to the back loop of the stitch, on the inside of the basket. This creates your "ridge" to help the bottom stay flat. Hope this helps.

I agree that it's most likely the back loop.  Are you creating a leg or something else that has a bottom and then a 90 degree angle for a side?  If yes, then it's almost a certainty that it's the back loop.

If nothing else, it's only round 6.  You can try it as the back loop and then do a couple of more rounds.  If it doesn't look right to you, frog it back to round 6 and then redo it with the front loop.  Sometimes when things are unclear, I try it multiple ways to see which way looks right to me.

I also would think the back loop.  Looking at the index there is a page for working in the back loop and how to create ridges. Maybe that page explains what you need.

Archived