Help with a different type of yarn

Christy.lee1989

Question

so i know its kinda early, but im really wanting to make some arm warmers for when it gets colder. I have tried making these in the past but the only type i have tried is using acrylic. The problem is thst itches me bad, to where i cant use it. I was thinking cotton, but read that doesnt stretch, and when i knit these, i do a ribbing so it will stretch and fit to stay up on my arm so cottom wouldnt work.

What im wondering is if someone could help me with some type of yarn that isnt too expensive that isnt acrylic that will stretch a little and be good for arm warmers. I dont really know much about different types ofyarn, i just use red heart. But even their type thats something sbut soft itches me.

17 answers to this question

Not all acrylic is Orlon--the generic material is acrylic, and Orlon is one of DuPont's many old brand names for the acrylic material they manufactured, like Wintuk, Sayelle, and others.  You never see those names any more, I wonder if the trademarks expired.

When Magiccrochetfan mentioned store-bought sweaters, a thought came to me - I wonder if finer gauge acrylic yarns would bother you less.  I wonder if the extruded plastic fibers for finer yarns are also finer (maybe less itchy?), or if there are just less of them per strand?  Hmmm...

Ok so just wanting to update you guys a little. I was talking to a facebook friend yestrday about this, she said to try cheap conditioner. I said i did but it didnt work, she asked me how long i soaked it, i told her that before i was told to soak for one hour in conditioner plus water then rinse everything off and put it in the normal wash, and she said thats not how she does it. So i did it how she does. Gently rub in the conditioner and let it soak in only conditioner, no water, for 24 hours. Then, leaving that in, put it on gently cycle by itself with a little bit of powders. She said if i wanted to i could use some vinegar during last rinse cycle, but i had none so i skipped this. I put it in dryer till al,ost dry and let it dry the rest of the way by itself. Now its not completely dry, mostly is just in small specks here and there, but they dont itch so far! Crosses fingers they wont itch, but so far they dont. I only have ones made from caron simply soft and red heart soft or with love, one of those two, but so far they dont itch and im happy! Feel kinda dumb the way i was doing it but at least now i know the right way.

Christy- Sounds like you've almost exhausted all ideas. Are you familiar with the new Baby-Hugs yarn by Red Heart? It's tested for sensitive baby skin and comes in 2 different weights and several colors. Baby Hugs Light and Baby Hugs Medium. You can read about it on the links I included.

Im honestly not sur what other places we have here, but i will look those places up. I have heard a lot of people on ehre talk about i love this yarn but i have never tied or seen it before. And yeah whenever i get some yarn i will just make something small and wear thwt for a little bit. That way i can make something for someone else or give it to someone else that can use it. Thanks!

Do you have other craft stores in you area? like Micheal's/Joann's or Hobby Lobby you can use a coupon at those and cut the cost? plus try out different types of yarns....I really like Hobby Lobby Yarn normally priced at $3.99 I find their basic acrylic called I love this Yarn is must softer comes in Lots of colors more then red heart and seems to be stretcher then Red heart basic which is like $2.50 ish at Walmart...

The also have a sport weight and lots of different baby yarn as well at Hobby Lobby...

P.s. I would do a swatch (make a small wist band and try that for a few days and see what yarn doesn't both you )vs making the complete wrist warmer...

I usually dont buy sweaters, i have tried them on before in the store but while i have them on for a short period, they dont really itch. I brought a scarf that is acrylic and it doesnt itch either. I dont know if i mentioned it but i used caron simply soft and red heart super saver, their soft something type and another type of red heart, thinner yarn and it changes color. Really pretty thiugh. There is a baby yarn at my walmart, something like bernat baby yarn maybe. I might try to use the baby stuff.

And i know my aunt is alergic to acrylic. She breaks out and itches when she wears it. But for me its more just itching.

You might want to try nylon yarn. The ones I've seen are baby yarns. They look like acrylic, which is orlon.

Maybe there is something in the acrylic that can be removed by laundering first. Be sure to use hypoallergenic soaps and softeners.

Do you know if you are allergic to wool?  I know some think wool is 'itchy' too, but some are allergic to the lanolin. Merino wool is  very soft.   If lanolin is not a problem, you might try a wool blend--sock yarn comes to mind, it's usually something like 70% wool and 30% nylon and I've made lots of nice soft socks.  Alpaca is soft, and I believe it doesn't bother those with lanolin allergies (different animal).

Have you ever used Caron Simply Soft? It's 'slick' and likely not as scratchy.

Oops, typing slow again, Hi Magic!

What's your definition of not too expensive?

There are some yarns that combine cotton and elastic.  Fixation is one http://www.cascadeyarns.com/cascade-fixation.asp

Have you tried wool?  it has a lot of bounce and is very warm.  

You could use plain cotton yarn and sew elastic thread into the cuffs.

Archived