Mittens

chickie

Question

Does anyone know of an easy mitten pattern?  I'm not a total beginner, but I'm sure no expert!  I make scarves and blankets and cowls and all sorts of hats and even fingerless mittens, but I have trouble with real mittens. 

The two problems I have are (1) that they always look pointed at the top and (2) that the thumb always feels tight where I join it. 

Also, I always seem to run into some sort of problem at some point and have to stray away from the pattern and just make something up (usually at the thumb).  That works fine on things like a single hat, but if I want my mittens to look exactly the same as each other I have to work a few rows on the right one, then work a few rows on the left one...and on and on til I'm done.  Which, of course, means I have to have two balls the same size from the one skein. Which means I have to roll all the yarn into one big ball and then re roll into two balls and hope they are the same.  All because I can't find a pattern I trust enough to just follow along!  :blink

I need to start these soon because each year I donate 50 items to a shelter, and although they love the scarves and hats, they always ask for mittens!  I'd love to find something fool proof.  Help, please?

4 answers to this question

Thank you! I will try your patterns, reniC and ratdog.  And will definitely try going up a hook size at the thumb, thanks tobybob.  If anything works I'll let you know.  And I'll be SO happy!  :clap

Archived