How big of a square?

creekbottom

Question

I've been practicing with dishcloths, and people found out and want some!  But how big do you make yours?  I usually chain 23 or 25 before turning around, problem is cotton shrinks.  

What should a finished/washed size of dishcloth be?

6 answers to this question

i think it varies from person to person.  My hands are about 2/3 as big as my husband's so I like a much smaller cloth than he does.  For me about a 4-5" square is plenty but he likes about 6-7" and bigger would probalby be fine with him.  I don't like to have drippy corners of the cloth hanging around my hand if that makes any sense.  

and welcome to the ville!

I  don't like corners coming around and smacking my hands either--so-o-o-o--I make round dishcloths anywhere from 5 1/2" to 9" across.  I've even had some people request larger ones, but I personally don't like them too large!

I make washcloths (for bath not kitchen) and cotton grows a bunch when it's wet.   About 8" max (dry) is my personal preference, but everyone's different.

It does shrink back down when it dries - I suggest you wet one you've made and see how much it grows.  The number of stitches would depend on your gauge.  The size would also depend on what you're using it for in the kitchen--for getting sopping wet to wash dishes or damp to wipe down the counter and table?  I'd think smaller for the former, bigger for the latter. 

Or, here are a ton of dishcloth patterns (this is just from the Sugar 'n Cream people), maybe have fun trying out different stitches etc.!

http://www.yarnspirations.com/patterns/dishcloth-crochet-patterns?limit=36

Welcome to Crochetville!

I didn't know how big to make them, either.  I looked at a variety of dishcloth patterns and found a variety of size.  So, I grabbed a store bought dishcloth that I like and used that as my size guide for generic dishcloths.  For others, I followed a pattern.

I like the thicker cotton cloths Like peaches n Cream yarn about 10" square and thinner thread cloths about 12" square.

Archived