Certain color (or color combos) coming out smaller?

LuvMyAngels

Question

I have now made this headband twice

http://www.mooglyblog.com/all-grown-up-ear-warmer/

Same pattern, used the instructions for the larger size both times, same weight/brand of yarn (Red Heart Super Saver).  The 2nd time I changed yarn colors and used a bigger hook anticipating a slightly larger headband.  I got the opposite, its smaller.  

Grey/pale pink is done with an I hook, Black/bright pink is done with a J hook

post-27802-0-92176400-1452889068_thumb.jpg

Is it me or the yarn? LOL  This isnt the first time a project with black/bright pink has come out unexpectedly small (I just assumed I altered the pattern the first time)

ETA: Stitch counts came out right in both.  I was working uninterrupted and so sat here counting stitches as I went along.

6 answers to this question

Huh, hard to say.  I know when I'm tired, or watch something scary on TV while crocheting, my  tension can change one way or another.  Also, different colors of the same yarn have been known to have subtle differences.  Interesting the one with the bigger hook is taller (s you'd expect), but less wide.   :think

Does the black one stretch farther than the other one?

PS, I like the reversible look using both sides of the surface slip stitch, clever!

I've noticed more yarn differences between colors for Caron Pounders and RHSS.  It's why I've stopped using them and have gone to LB or the store's brand for acrylic worsted (unless I need stiff yarn.)  I was making something with light grey and dark grey (both Caron Pounders) and something else with lavender and dark purple (both RHSS).  In both projects the lighter color was so much thicker and stiffer than it's darker counterpart.  Neither project came out the way I had expected.  In fact, I scrapped the grey project, because the difference was so dramatic.  I'm guessing it's something with their dyes.

Huh, hard to say.  I know when I'm tired, or watch something scary on TV while crocheting, my  tension can change one way or another.  Also, different colors of the same yarn have been known to have subtle differences.  Interesting the one with the bigger hook is taller (s you'd expect), but less wide.   :think

Does the black one stretch farther than the other one?

PS, I like the reversible look using both sides of the surface slip stitch, clever!

If anything my tension would have been looser while working the black/bright pink headband (the slightly larger hook still throws me off a bit).  No TV, it was on but the volume was low as I was concentrating on the pattern.  No extra stretch, it's too tight for my head.

The texture in it is caused by post stitches.  

I've noticed more yarn differences between colors for Caron Pounders and RHSS.  It's why I've stopped using them and have gone to LB or the store's brand for acrylic worsted (unless I need stiff yarn.)  I was making something with light grey and dark grey (both Caron Pounders) and something else with lavender and dark purple (both RHSS).  In both projects the lighter color was so much thicker and stiffer than it's darker counterpart.  Neither project came out the way I had expected.  In fact, I scrapped the grey project, because the difference was so dramatic.  I'm guessing it's something with their dyes.

I use RHSS almost exclusively and have never seen this issue until this color combo.  I have noticed a texture difference with other yarns but I cant figure it out with these.  

No wasted time or materials, if its not claimed by one of my girls I'll drop it in a donation box.

I have noticed that lighter colors of yarn can be a lot thinner than darker colors. I think that it has to do with how much dye is needed to get to the right color, so darker yarn has more dye on it than lighter yarn, which makes it slightly thicker.

Annoying, isn't it?

Firstly- I really like your color choices. Very pretty.

I would compare/measure the gauge count on the headbands with the same amount of stitches OR make a gauge swatch with the same color sequences and hooks as the headbands, then, compare with a ruler. By comparison, you should be able to see how they differ in size.

Archived