Right kind of thread for a beginner

Hey folks,

I got my sis some crochet hooks for Christmas, she's keen to get started and is a total beginner. I understand there are better and worse kinds of thread (wool or cotton etc) to use for the beginner and just wondered if you could tell me the type of stuff I should be looking for? The set of hooks I got is a 9 piece ranging from 2mm to 6mm.

Don't worry, it's a late christmas for us so I've still time :)

Oh and a happy Christmas all ;)

Cheers

What a nice brother you are!

I woould look for some wool yarn in a solid color, a light color would make it easy to see the stitches. DK would be a good weight.

i think in Scotland, dk will be an easy weight to find. With hooks in those sizes she will be able to use yarn in many weights.

I've got a different opinion on learning yarn.  I would start with the cheapest acrylic, 4-py, worsted weight in a light, solid color.  Wool tends to have little fibers that stick out, whereas acrylic is smooth and rips out easily for mistakes.  4-ply, worsted seems to be the most common yarn, but that's here in the States.  A light, solid color, like a pastel, is easiest to see the stitch work.  Don't go with pure white though, it tends to blend together more than an off white. 

Once she's learned the basics, she'll be able to use any available yarn.

Merry Christmas!!

I also would go with the  Acrylic or something along that type with a #4, worsted weight.

Wool could be a problem, not only price, but she may be a little allergic to it.  You have to be careful when you go that way.  I also would go with the pastel colors, easier to see the stitches and easier to work with when you are learning.

Happy Christmas to you and your family.

Mr.Cat, as you can see, there are varying opinions on this question, just like most areas of life I guess ;-)

Since you are in Scotland, I am assuming---perhaps wrongly-- that wool yarn is readily available in most areas.  I know that wool from the UK is very high quality and easy to work with.  UK wool that I have used has been very smooth, soft and feels really great.  So in my mind, some of this wool would be great for anyone to work with, from beginner to expert.

If you actually do not have easy access to purchase wool yarn, acrylic is great too.  I personally would choose some mid-priced acrylic.  Brands I've used, and would recommend,  that are from the UK, are Stylecraft and JC Brett.  

You may want to find out what source she is using for learning.  if it is a UK magazine or book, it will more likely refer to DK weight yarn.  If from the US, worsted is more likely (DK is a bit smaller/lighter than worsted).  If she is using an online source, it could be anything really haha

Also, In the English language there are two systems of naming stitches, the US and UK/Australian versions.  http://www.crochetville.com/community/topic/38393-usuk-stitch-name-comparison-table/

that doesn't affect your choice of yarn but it is helpful information that you might pass on, in case she hasn't found out about it yet.  

Aside from stitch names, we have a different yarn weight class system in the US, worsted would be your 10-12 ply.   A conversion chart-- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yarn_weight

The reason for the light colored yarn is that it's easier to see each strand of the stitch.  Doesn't have to be baby pastels, just stay away from black and really dark colors while learning.  Also stay away from variegated for the same reason.  A tightly wound yarn is better than a loosely wound one - meaning the twist of the plies in the strand, not how it's wound in the hank or skein.  Loosely wound yarn is splittier, which is a nuisance for any crocheter but especially a beginner.

There's nothing wrong with cotton yarn, but it is a little less forgiving for a beginner than acrylic or wool (or blends).

Hey thanks everyone, that's totally awesome :)

Is this the kind of thing, it doesn't seem to say any 'Ply' numbers round here? Just need something cheap and cheerful, and swifter now :)

http://www.knitpicks.com/yarns/Brava_Worsted_Yarn__D5420219.html

Yes.  That is 4-ply, worsted, acrylic yarn and would be perfect for learning.  Is it something that you can get locally?  Ordering online can get expensive, especially if it's shipped from the USA to outside of the USA. 

The reason I suggest something inexpensive for learning is that she doesn't yet know if she's going to enjoy it or not.  Everyone has different talents.  My ex-mother-in-law told me that she tried to learn to crochet.  She found it difficult and didn't like it. I was surprised, because she's so talented at so many different things.  Whereas, I love it and find it easy and soothing.  So, she won't know if she like it or not until she's past the learning stage.  

It is something I could get locally, and oh yes I did surf a few sites and thought that was co.uk in my haste.

I don't drive and it's either a 'seek a lift' or a hitch hike 30 miles to get it, but I can probably get to the sewing shop in time.

You'd love the shop I'm sure, mostly it has staff the likes that you'd find on this forum with very helpful info, but there is/was one woman in there we called the....I'll tell the story.

(Picture yourself in a small compact yet well stocked shop in a small town far far away)

Well, we (me and my girlfriend) once went in looking for a zip(per) which I was going to latex to my face for a Halloween fancy dress outfit, we asked for zips but they were under the counter and she seemed very determined not to show us any of them until we knew the exact size and every dimension and serial number first. If you've ever seen the tv series 'league of gentlemen' you may imagine what our zip buying experience was like.

I'm not sure if it was the "What kind of zip, what's it for?" - "Well, it's to stick to my face" (definite improper, possibly sacrilegious use) that put her off, but we did manage to get a zip in the end.

The staff are generally friendly and helpful, maybe it was just a 'bad hair day' but we do like to visit it just for a browse when we don't need anything as we find ourselves smiling as we enter the shop with a mild sense of trepidation ... I always feel like I may be grilled at the counter as to what the yarn or fabric is for, whether I know the technical name for it and maybe a spot check of my I.D. and a test on the mechanics of sewing machines before I'm allowed to take it away. :D

However, I know '4-ply' and 'Worsted weight', I feel armed to the teeth and ready for anything ;)

Archived