Converting baby to adult size?

Gemma Louise Manning

Question

Hi everyone!

I really could do with some advice please  :ghug  

I have a pattern to crochet a hat for my cousin. However there is no guidance on what pattern I would need if I wanted to make it for an adult.

It says 5mm but from my understanding, this would be suitable for a baby. 

Would I need to add stitches or change the size of my hook?

I have to use two lots of yarn together for the pattern also! 

Thanks in advance :)  :) 

6 answers to this question

I didn't see anything on the pattern site that indicated what size it was. The 5mm is the size of the H hook. It's using two strands of a worsted weight yarn. You might want to just try the pattern and see what size it makes up.

If this is a child's hat, then an adult hat is not that much bigger.  There are several charts out there.  Here's one ...

http://mymerrymessylife.com/2012/04/hat-measurements-for-crochet-and-knit.html

It looks like the 3rd row is the end of the increases.  So, when you finish the 3rd row, measure it.  If it's not big enough, add another row with increases.  (Your stitch count will increase for all future rows.) 

Next, rows 4-5 make up the majority of the height, but don't forget that 6-7 add a row of height.  Try it on after row 5.  You should have a good idea how it's going to fit.  Then you'll need to decide if you want to repeat row 5 or not.

Increasing the size of your hook will also make it bigger, but it will also make it looser.  If the above doesn't work, then try a bigger hook .

Welcome to Crochetville!

I agree with Greyhoundgrandma, it is so few rows, with yarn doubled, I would just try it and see.

Measure your head around where the hat would fit at the band part.  Divide that by 3.14.  Example, my head is 21", divided by 3.14=about 6 2/3 inches. 

To expland on Redrosedz's suggestion, work the hat through row 3, then measure the diameter.  It should be close to (in my example) 6 2/3 inches.*  If it is a little smaller than that, see how much the fabric stretches, and decide if that is OK or whether you should start over with a bigger hook.  

*  to be more clear, it should be close to your own personal head circumference measurement divided by 3.14, I just used my head as an example ;)

I'm wondering if she made this for her little grandson she posts pics of on her Blog. You can send her a message on her Blog or through her e-mail.

Archived