Granny square question

Charis

Question

Ok, so I'm pretty new to these granny squares. I've been crocheting a while and found a pattern I just have to do. I'm obsessed. Anyway, it's just a blanket made of a bunch of granny squares so I looked up how to make them in a couple of stitch books I have.

Here's the question, at the end of a round, do you turn the project? I just assumed you turn the square over after every round after you slip stitch the round closed. That way you are right at a ch3 opening like the patterns suggest. After doing some research (YouTube) I see that people slip stitch to the next opening. It seems easier to just turn the project to me. I've done a few and they seem fine...

What is your opinion?

12 answers to this question

If the color is continued and not changed, I slip stitch into the first stitch then turn and work around again.

If you are changing colors, then you slip stitch to first stitch, fasten off and begin new color in first chain space.

If you don't turn, your square can end up with skewed corners, so it isn't a nice straight square.  the skewing occurs because the increases are all stacked on top of each other at the corners.  Crochet sts have a bit of lean to them, so by turning you have the lean going in opposite directions and cancel each other out to prevent biasing.  So this is another  reason to turn :-)  

I don' t turn  on smaller squares, grannys are made in the round, which generally means to me anyways,  no turning, but you can do them either way, I prefer not to turn unless they are very large, to prevent them from going wonky... just slip stitch to where you want to start,the first corner or space you can put a cluster in. that's what I do.

Granny Square gave a brilliant answer to this a few days ago ....

Is it acrylic?  You might be able to steam-block it (hold iron a couple of inches from the work, don't tough the fabric).  This will make the piece not-stretchy and limp, which is OK for a blanket.

The reason it does that is because it is a large piece done in the round, same side always facing you, no turning.  Crochet stitches have a bias to them.

In the round, same side always facing

///////

///////

///////

Turned every other round - the bias cancels itself out

\\\\\\\

///////

\\\\\\\

If you make another one of these blankets, turn it every other round.  It will make it square, plus the added bonus of making the blanket completely reversible.  This bias isn't as obvious when you make little squares and sew them up, but does when you make a big piece like this.

I have never turned a granny square and never had a problem with it not being square. Even when I do it as a large granny blanket, it is nice and square.

Roe

From a young girl, when I was taught- I was taught the way Katy and LI Roe do their afghans.

I guess what I was told and have found out through doing over the years, is that they stretch out through being used so there is no need for being over critical if they are not perfectly shaped.

Yes, Tribble, that's what I noticed too. I was going about my Merry way and then I thought I'd watch one just to ma ke sure I was doing it right. Sounds like I'm doing fine. Which is good because slip stitches slow me down.

Archived