Soap Savers

Kate's Mom

Question

A soldiers helpers group has requested soap savers/bags/scrubbies to send to soldiers stationed overseas.

I have never made kitchen/bath stuff before and really have never used cotton either. Is cotton preferred for this type of project or will an acrylic work just as well? They sent a nice pattern and I've worked up two very quickly. Just wondering if I should go buy more cotton or if I can raid my stash.

Thank you for any and all advice!

9 answers to this question

Kudos to you for helping our veterans!  Yes, I would use cotton, because it is more absorbent.  I have made them out of acrylic, but prefer the cotton. It actually takes very little to make a washcloth or soap saver--probably only 1 skein (about 2 oz. or 2 1/2 oz) each.  Or you can buy the large cones at Walmart--it'll make a ton!  :lol 

Thanks again for thinking of our guys and gals in the service to our country!  Bless you!

Cotton or the new stuff Scrubbie from Mary Maxim is the best for scrubbies and wash cloths.  They are both cotton, but on is like terricloth.

There is always an excuse to buy new yarn, especially if you have not used that kind.

The woman's name and email address:  Alice Greenleaf
                                                                21 Fox Lane, Rochester, NH 03867
                                                                pudgyaunt99@aol.com

https://soldiershelpers.com

Their website is not quite complete but has a lot of info about them. 

They do a lot of good for our local men and women serving.  I'm sure she would be thrilled to have more crafters :)

While I think they will take any pattern for soap savers, this is the one she had sent me:  http://www.mooglyblog.com/pampering-massage-soap-saver/

They are hoping to have up to 700 of them to send mid-June.  If they get more than that, they will save them for the next shipment of care packages. 

It is so wonderful that people want to help   :manyheart

Archived